Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sky Box connections

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by areuwithmee, Sep 2, 2005.

1. areuwithmee

areuwithmee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all
    Could someone please tell me what some of the connections on a standard sky + box are for?
    Such as rf 1 and rf 2 output? Also where are outputs if I want sky in other rooms?

Many Thanks

2. areuwithmee

areuwithmee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also people say who should connect an rf output from your vcr to your rf input of sky. WHY?

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    The RF outputs are there so you can run sound and vision to another room - they also allow the use of a magic eye to change channels on the box from another room.

To view Sky in another room, you could also use the s-video and audio phono outs - this would give better picture quality than the RF.

There is need to connect the RF of a video and Sky box together as the connection can be made via scart. The only reason I can see for doing this is if you also want to receive and record terrestrial analogue signals and even then it's vital that you daisy chain via the sky box.

HTH

John

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    RF1 and RF2 are the coaxial outputs (standard RF cable).
    Both of these carry a RF modulated signal (with mono audio) on a user set frequency. RF1 is a standard connection(no different to one on a VCR) while RF2 can carry a small voltage which allows the TVlink system (remote access from another location) to work.

For basic operation there is no need for a RF link between the digibox and VCR, scart is so much better. However some people have a need to distribute not only the SKY signal but the VCR output and Terrestrial together so passing the RF feed from the aerial through the digibox then through the VCR and into a distribution amp has it's uses.

5. areuwithmee

areuwithmee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks chaps.
    If I connect rf 1 or 2 output directly into the tv, would I recieve terrestial channels as well as sky also?
    Thanks

6. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,327
    Only if you have a terrestrial aerial connected to the RF in socket.

7. areuwithmee

areuwithmee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks 4 reply guys.
    If I didn't connect my terrestial aerial to the input on the skybox and just ran the outputs (rf1 or rf2) will I still pick up sky channels on say channel 6 but no terrestial channels right?

8. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,327
    I presume you mean you have prog 6 on your TV tuned to the Sky digibox in which case.......yes.