Sky+ Box 'Clicking' Loudly!

Baloo

I had a Sky+ install on Monday and since then the box has emitted a very loud 'clicking' noise intermittently, about once every 60-120 seconds or so and lasting about 10 seconds each time. I've also had the problem of the box turning itself off just as a recording is about to start and again (after I've turned it back on!) when the recording ends. I have a brand new Amstrad PVR3.

The installer has just told me that this is common and the sound will die down after a week or two and happens because the box is brand new. Basically he said that the service call I have scheduled for tomorrow is a waste of time and I should really cancel it.

Now is this common? The only way I can describe the clicking is like the 'clicky' things kids put on the back tires of their BMX's which click loudly when the wheel turns. I can hear this sound from about 20 feet away and I'm sure that I don't have extra sensitive hearing or anything.

:lease:

pdiddy76

chances are high the clicking is a result of a faulty power supply and the engineer who told you it would be a wasted service call does not know what he is talking about the boxes under no circumstances should emit a clicking noise hope this helps

Baloo

chances are high the clicking is a result of a faulty power supply and the engineer who told you it would be a wasted service call does not know what he is talking about the boxes under no circumstances should emit a clicking noise hope this helps

I got the impression that he was trying to fob me off for some reason, maybe because its a bank holiday tomorrow? I'm glad that I didn't cancel the service call now, thanks for the help.

Baloo

Try turning off Instant Rewind in Sky+ setup menu it stopped the clicking sound on mine.
Hope this helps
Dave

Yeah, turning off the instant rewind does stop the clicking but then with the instant rewind on the box turns itself off after about 20 minutes.

Anyway, the sky engineer came round today, had a little listen and said that it shouldn't sound like that. He was a little surprised as the box was brand new so off he went to the van for another brand new one. That one didn't click but it did have a loud humming noise. Back to the van for a third one and all is now well :thumbsup:

So, looks like the quality of new pvr3's is a little questionable. No specific make as the first one I had, the clicker, was an Amstrad, the hummer a Thompson and the third and working one, an Amstrad again.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom