Sky + box broken - options?

Stampax

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Out sky plus box seems to have a faulty section, where it skips and judders etc. I can leave a recording over that space, but it's pretty annoying. It's a four year old box, too old for the 'anytime' update so I thought it may be time to get a newer, bigger box anyway (ours is one of the smaller ones, i believe newer ones are much bigger).

Anyone know what my options are? How much should sky charge me? Can i just buy one from ebay? I gather sky will try and make me take multi room and do me a deal, but I have no interest in this.

Out sky plus box seems to have a faulty section, where it skips and judders etc. I can leave a recording over that space, but it's pretty annoying. It's a four year old box, too old for the 'anytime' update so I thought it may be time to get a newer, bigger box anyway (ours is one of the smaller ones, i believe newer ones are much bigger).

Anyone know what my options are? How much should sky charge me? Can i just buy one from ebay? I gather sky will try and make me take multi room and do me a deal, but I have no interest in this.

Put a service call into sky. It will cost £65 and the box and anything else is replaced for that. Hopefully the engineer will only the latest models of boxes on his van. (I know I do, I carry nothing lower than a PVR3 which have the anytime on them.)

I, myself, would not be happy about paying the £65.

The one time my Sky+ box died I was most upset with it. I considered my options for a day or two, then eventually ended up phoning Sky... we went through some pretty standard (but ones I did not know) routines for trying to get it to turn on, unsuccessfully.

Then Sky told me it would be a £65 flat fee to get an engineer out and replace the box. Simple as that. However, while I had spent time considering my options, I'd also tried the freeview that was integrated into my TV, and found it was kinda OK. I suggested to Sky that I might try it out for a bit, so I would probably cancel my subscription... miraculously the £65 charge then simply disappeared and a Sky engineer then came around in 2 days with a new box that was the bigger kind you refer to.

I don't think this is a tactic that is guaranteed to deal with Sky. I think you have to be serious about it, and I was. Sky preferred to keep me as a customer rather than haggle over £65 it seemed. They made the right choice I would say.

Times may well be different now, but it must be worth considering... either asking Sky to waive the £65 for a replacement box or actually trying something other than Sky and seeing what you really think of it... just so you can say you have to them, too!

Just my two pennies. Might not be relevant to your situation.

Cheers, DpM

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom