Question Sky Box and VCR Connections

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by hojphotography, Jun 10, 2016.

1. hojphotography

hojphotography
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    **I hope this is the right forum for this.**

Before I got a new Sky+HD Box with Wifi last year I had the (now very old) white Sky Box with S-video connection. My setup included the Sky Box, DVD Player, AV Receiver and a VCR (yes it still worked fine!) as well as an old Sony TV with scart .There all about 10 years old now apart from the newer Sky Box, and a new HDTV. Anyway thats the back history to give you a picture in your heads. My problem now is first of all I cant remember exactly what way I had the cables connected (ageing process!!), but I can get no playback from the VCR. I can get live sound when I switch the receiver to the VCR/DVR channel but no picture or sound from the VCR. The old receiver has S-video connection but the Sky Box has HDMI. Before I used a scart converter on the VCR to connect everything to the receiver. When I got the Sky Box last year I also had to get a S-video to HDMI converter to connect to the tv. Hopefully this makes sense to somebody and if you need anymore info bout cables etc just ask.
    Thanks

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,514
    You need to tell us how you have the equipment connected at the moment...which connection goes where?
    Also make/model of the Tv.
    Have you tried a direct scart connection between the VCR and your Tv to establish that it's still in working order?

3. hojphotography

hojphotography
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The way the equipment is connected at the moment is: The AV receiver is mainly S-Video so from the video player I have S-video plus black+red audio cables going through a scart converter as theres no s-video on the vcr into the vcr/dvr IN of the receiver. There is s-video from the monitor out on the receiver to a s-video to hdmi converter box which has the hdmi going out to the hdmi2 port in the tv. The Sky box has hdmi going straight out to the hdmi1 port in the tv (Panasonic 39A300B) because as i said the receiver has no hdmi (approx 10 years old Pioneer vsx-d1011). The DVD player also Pioneer has s-video going into the receiver and theres also a Playstation 2 which just has composite cables.
    I have since discovered(remembered) upon further testing that changing the settings on the Sources list from hdmi1 to hdmi2 on the tv I get the signal from the vcr on the hdmi2 and all the recordings playback perfectly fine.
    But what I need to be able to do again is to get the signal from the sky box and the vcr all on the one channel. Before when I had the old sky box which had s-video I switched the receiver to vcr/dvr channel and I could record from the Sky box, but since hdmi came to the party I cant do this because to play from the Sky box I need to switch the tv to hdmi1 on the sources list and to play from the video it needs to be on hdmi2, so I need to get them all on the one page.
    Thanks

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,514
    So basically you want to record on your VCR the recordings from your Sky box planner?
    A scart lead from the Sky+HD box to the scart input on the VCR will achieve that.

5. hojphotography

hojphotography
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so what about the different sources problem with the hdmi1 + hdmi2 ?

6. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,514
    I doubt you'll be able to do it with your present setup, maybe time to update your receiver.

7. hojphotography

hojphotography
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update: Well I dont know how it is working now but it is working!!! :clap: I'm getting sound and picture using the hdmi2 port on the tv. I was sure I tried it this way in the past few days but who knows. The scart is going from the sky box to the vcr and from the vcr the s-video and audio is going back into the vcr/dvr In port on the receiver, so all is good in the end. Thanks for trying.

8. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,514
    Glad to hear it [emoji106]