1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Box and Plasma Problem

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by johndj1, Sep 3, 2003.

1. johndj1

johndj1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have just purchased a Philips Video Sender to view Sky channels on a second TV in the bedroom and tried to set it up last night as follows:

STB->Video Sender (SCART IN and OUT)->JS Tech RGB to Component Box->Plasma.

I'm sure I've set up the Video Sender as instructed and swapped all the cables to make sure it's not hardware and all to no avail.

I've sort of plugged the problem by running it through a SCART switch (diverting to sender or Component box as required) but this is not ideal.

Can anyone think or does anyone know of a reason why the Video Sender would stop the signal getting to the Dr John's box?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

2. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be keen to know if you resolve this issue as I'm thinking of doing something similar when I get my plasma.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It it works OK without the sender, then it's not doing RGB pass through. If it has only the composite pins wired, the js box is not recieving the RGB signal it needs. A scart multiplier is what you need, both 'on' at the same time. Argos do one cheap, it'd do while you find a good one.

4. johndj1

johndj1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies for sounding dense but are you talking about something like this? If so, cool because that is pretty much what is integrated into it now. I didn't realise I could have two open at the same time.

Could you let me know?

Cheers
    D

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The Philips video sender only sends composite video. i.e. as MAW says, RGB is not getting through to the JS box. AFAIK there aren't any wireless senders that work well with RGB video...

The Keene Scart Distribution Amp will give you four identical RGB scart outputs from your Digibox, send one to the component converter and other to the sender for upstairs TV.

6. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This is a hideous solution and I'm ashamed to be suggesting it. Could you try running the JS RGB to component convertor at the Sky Digibox end and transmit the subsequently output component video signal via the phono inputs on Audio L/R and Composite. I appreciate that you won't get any sound at this stage, but it's worth testing to see how well the video signal is transmitted using this method. At the receiving end you'll need a composite & audio to SCART lead to be able to run the video into the plasmas component inputs unless the Philips unit has phono inputs and outputs at both ends, that is.

p.s. don't mug me for suggesting this!

7. johndj1

johndj1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting idea but the JS RGB does not have composite out?!? Or am I missing something?

Could another option be to push an S-Video signal out of the Grundig STB and convert to Scart prior to input to the Video Sender? Can an STB output through two outs at the same time?

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Or how about two video senders for RGB+Composite+L+R :)

Joe

9. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What I was suggesting was trying to transmit video only by hooking up the three red green and blue (component) video cables to the three yellow, red and white ones (composite and audio). I've just looked at the Philips sender and it only has SCART connectors, so you would need an adaptor at both ends. Like Joe points out, you'd also need a pair of sender/receivers to be able to transmit the audio too.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I hadn't even thought he was trying to send RGB!! I thought the transmitting sender had 2 scarts, and the plasma was in the room with the skybox, and it was a straightforward scart pass through issue. Right answer to wrong question then.

11. johndj1

johndj1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like it, interesting idea, but I presume (as I think you do), that there would be no sound to TV2.

Any thoughts on my idea of passing RGB to the JS RGB via SCART, and S-Video to the Video Sender simultaneously?

D

12. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Dan, is your plasma in the lounge or the bedroom, we may be at cross purposes here? I got the impression that you were trying to transmit RGB up to a plasma in your bedroom and then convert it to component using a JS box, but I'm not so sure now.

13. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Joe was suggesting using sender one for RGB (scart pins 15+13, 11+9, 7+5 re-wired to match the correct pins for composite + stereo audio) and the other for composite video and stereo audio (pins 19+17, 3,4 and 6 - normal composite plus stereo audio connections). Then recompile them back to one scart at the other end and plug that into the component converter!

JohnDJ1 - s-video uses Red+red ground and Compsite video plus composite ground on standard scart. So even doing s-video will probably require a custom wired SVHS-Scart for it to work in the sender.

14. johndj1

johndj1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chaps

Huge thanks for the ideas. I have a lot to play around with now.

D