Sky Bill - Charged Twice

Venomx999

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My sky bill came out on the 27th July, they have also taken another payment today which im furious about because now i’m overdrawn.

I spoke to Sky and they said to contact the bank in the mean time, and that 1 transaction could be confirmation and the other the transaction.
He then said it should return to normal tomorrow, but i have little faith in this as it’s the first time its ever happened.

Has this happened to anyone else ?

Spoke to the bank, all sorted

Last edited:
What exactly had happened?

The first transaction on the 27th was some form of " check " to make sure money was in the account and showed up as a pending transaction ( which would have been reversed tonight however my bank speeded up the process and did it instantly for me earlier )
The second was the official transaction for the bill.

My bank explained it can happen with transactions rarely if there's a delay in the process.

Has this happened to anyone else ?
I'm trying to figure out why it happened, it could be because I changed my billing date from the 27th to the 1st and then again to the 5th all within 24 hours - hence why Sky checked to make sure the details were all legit still ?

Been with sky for 7 months now and never had this before.

If it does happen again i'll switch to direct debit.

Double billing has been reported by several people in the not too distant past. IIRC the second payment has been the result of a scam somehow.
Can you not find out whether the two payments have actually been made to Sky?

Double billing has been reported by several people in the not too distant past. IIRC the second payment has been the result of a scam somehow.
Can you not find out whether the two payments have actually been made to Sky?

Sky said they only received one payment, they also said the first was a confirmation and the second was the actual payment.
It's called an " authorisation hold " and is fairly well documented on the internet...
Authorization hold - Wikipedia
What is an authorization hold?

My bank also attested to this with what Sky said.

My sky bill came out on the 27th July, they have also taken another payment today which im furious about because now i’m overdrawn.

If a double direct debit of Sky makes you overdrawn you need to look at your personal finances and if you just maintain the bare minimum in an account just used for bills you may want to consider leaving a balance in there so this doesn't happen. Whilst yes Sky double billing didn't help the reason you ended up in overdraft wasn't to do with Sky.

If a double direct debit of Sky makes you overdrawn you need to look at your personal finances and if you just maintain the bare minimum in an account just used for bills you may want to consider leaving a balance in there so this doesn't happen. Whilst yes Sky double billing didn't help the reason you ended up in overdraft wasn't to do with Sky.

I've changed my billing date to the beginning of the month when there's more in my account

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom