1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky + better quality then TIVO

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by eugdog2, Jun 24, 2004.

1. eugdog2

eugdog2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had Tivo but upgraded to Sky +. I never used Tivo through my projecter because the quality at medium setting (20 hours) was too poor. But Sky does a much better job here and the quality at 20 hour setting is much better. Certainoy good enough for a projector..

My ideal system would be a Sky Digibox but with Tivo software!!!

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The system seems popular in the US with the DirecTV satellite service but looks like it'll go the way of the dodo as they are now owned by News Corp and they don't like paying TIVO a license when they can offer a far cheaper off the shelf product to their subscribers.

SKY+ of records the bitstream so is identical to the original broadcast and since there is no second stage of encoding it will always look better than any mpegII based hard drive or dvd recorder.

3. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    It's a shame the quality of the original broadcast is cr*p from far too many channels!

G.I.G.O (Garbage in, garbage out) Haven't used that one for a few years! :laugh:

A. Dork

4. BaggieBoy

BaggieBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think the medium setting allowed more than 20 hours on a unmodded TiVo, I used to use High on mine and got at least 20 hours.

5. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    exactly, you can choose your compression with tivo (which is good for channels/programs broadcast at a low bitrate) to save some space.