Sky+ better pic than Sky?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by chez, Jan 12, 2004.

1. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi

I've got a Panasonic Sky Digibox and am considering upgrading to Sky+

Could anyone tell me if the picture quality of Sky+ is better/the same/worse than normal Sky Digital?

Thanks
    Chez

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Same or better (assuming sig quality the same following install of new LNB). for both off-air and recorded as Sky+ records the digital bit stream directly, so no loss.

3. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    IMHO The Sky+ box is a no brainer. You get S-VHS as well I use a projector at 7ft diagonal and the pic from Sky+ via the S-VHS is good - looks even better on my TV, but when you get Sky+ you'll wonder how you lived without.

The pic is certainly better then my old grundig box.

Cheers

Tony

4. xyznicko

xyznicko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you get a V2 Sky plus the picture quality is not as good as your Panasonic, the V2 has soft focus fault on it which Sky and Pace are aware of and a fix is pending.

So it should be as good once its done but not yet.

5. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Xyznico is that a software/firmware fix for the V2 box?

I have a Panasonic in the loft and have a V2 box and I agree the picture is a little softer. But you dont notice it after a week.

Processor is faster so the EPG and menus are faster. Mate of mine has an original Pace Sky Digital box. It is so sloooow. But he is too tight to upgrade to Sky+ even though he has every channel you can possibly have.

Rog

6. Senninha

Senninha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I currently have a Sky box (normal) and a TIVO. I thought about a Sky+ box, but I like TIVO's ability to auto-record things it thinks I'll like, and I also like the open architecture. I'm also not so keen on giving Sky another tenner a month.

However, if the picture quality was better or surround sound an option, I would consider it. However my understanding is that the picture is the same, and surround sound is only on some channels (those I don't pay for I believe).

Given the above, is it worth considering a change and punting my TIVO, or keeping both, or ??? There's rarely enough ONE thing on I want to watch, never mind two, so dual recording or record/watch is not a big factor.

Thanks

7. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I'm a big fan of my new sky +. For convenience of recording - even tat to watch later when there's nothing on its bloody good. They say create your own channel & you can. Worth every penny of the £200 it cost. I've put my video in the bedroom. Would I want to pay another £10pm? Don't know. I don't think the PQ is any different to my Panasonic, although I believe the box is slower.
    If your package (oh, er, missus) is small & you have to pay the £10pm, your not benefiting from the DD sound (some films), & it's now £250 (unless you get recomended by a friend - I could do that(-£50 off)) It would be easy to say no. If you can stomach a larger package, get a discounted instal, then it's well worth it. You may even find something new to view on the extra channels!

8. xyznicko

xyznicko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yes I understand that Pace have already sent the fix to Sky for inclusion in a future update.

The fix is said to improve picture quality markedly:clap:

The chap who says the picture isn't that bad should note the opinions of people who have previously had a V1.
    They are the people who made the fuss in the first place.
    V1 quality is way better than V2's

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Picture quality with SKY+ is more about it's ability to record the bitstream meaning the recording is 100% accurate and the audio is so far only DD5.1 on 3 movie channels and the Disney channel.

Given what you say I can not see any real benefit in getting rid of your TIVO which does what you want in a reliable manner, stick with it and see what happens with both technologies over the next couple of years.