Sky BBC1 Audio Loss

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by BromsgroveJohn, Mar 12, 2005.

1. BromsgroveJohn

BromsgroveJohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pace Digibox 2500 connected to Phillips TV, DVD and VCR by Scart. All systems OK. All Sky and terrestrial channels OK until two nights ago BBC1 audio vanished from Sky 101. Checked and replaced scart leads - Picture quality and signal strength VG but still NO AUDIO on 101. Help.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Have you tried any of the other BBC regions on the EPG (941 onwards)?

Also worth checking the Language setting to make sure it's not on "Narrative".

3. BromsgroveJohn

BromsgroveJohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - yes all other sky channels work OK with VG reception including all the BBC regional channels in the 900's. I checked the "narrative" in the help menu and it quotes "unavailable".
    (I am baffled)

4. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    I would guess that for some strange reason the box has auto-allocated the incorrect audio PID on just that one channel.

Try a reboot of the Pace box.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

5. BromsgroveJohn

BromsgroveJohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chris - yes, you could be right - I have rebooted the Pace box - 4 times now and have also tried a complete new software download - I think it might be time to get the screwdriver out and see if a tweek to any of the pots inside will sort out the problem - otherwise it might be cheaper to bin the box and start again!!! I phoned Sky and they told me it was the Scart lead!!!! Don't know why that would only affect the audio on BBC1 and leave all the other 999 channels ok. Still there you go - they were trying to be helpful!!!

6. BromsgroveJohn

BromsgroveJohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rec'd email from Pace Technical who confirm that all the tests I have done should have isolated the problem. They now suggest that the loss of sound on BBC1 WMids Region is a Broadcast issue with the transponder. I have spoken to Sky Technical who agree that this isolated loss of sound could well be down to a problem with transponder 46 and are approaching the BBC to see what tests or alterations they may have done last week. Hey Ho On WE Go. ANYONE ELSE HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM?

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    If there was a problem at source you would expect that every Dsat viewer in the West Midlands would have the same problem, there is audio on the WM channel on both of my digiboxes.

Have you tried to add the channel manually?
    V
    5/6

8. BromsgroveJohn

BromsgroveJohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Starburst
    Thanks, yes - have tried add channel for BBC1WM Region and still No sound. I got sky to do a postcode change for me to see if I could get sound and audio on BBC1 EPG 101. Worked fine: sound and signal from another region from transponder 47. He put me back to my post code - No sound but perfect picture. Back to square one. Even though Pace have told me they don't think the symptom could be caused by the STBox I am starting to wonder!!!!

9. BromsgroveJohn

BromsgroveJohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pace Digibox 2500S4 has a fault - Pace Technical have never heard of an audio loss problem on one channel only. I tried the box on my neighbors system and duplicated the exact fault. His system is OK! We swapped cards with exactly the same result - so it can't be anything else now except the STB. Everything else has been exterminated (as they say in Dr Who). Come on all you Pace Digibox experts. THIS IS A CHALLENGE - What faulty component could cause Audio loss on one channel only.

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Why not phone or e-mail BBC engineering ? Uplinking is now sub-contracted, but I'm sure that the BBC are still interested in viewer problems.