• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky BB speed worries?

crippy21

Standard Member
I have just ordered SKY HD and their mid bb package (£5 a month).
I have been using Virgin BB for the past year which is great but now after ordering the SKY one not sure what my speeds going to be.
I have searched a few sites by putting my postcode in but they seem to come up with different answers.

This is my local exchange: Samknows Broadband - Broadstone (STBDSTN) Exchange

This is what it says is available to me: Samknows Broadband - Broadband Availability Checker

could someone tell me what my likely speeds will be?

welshcraig

Established Member
£5 on sky i think is a max speed of 8meg. what speed was you getting on virgin?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member

All exchanges offer the same speed if they offer the service - which exchange you have only matters as to whether you can get it at all, it's the line of the phone line between you and the exchange that matters. (other factors like the quality of house's phone wiring can also drop your speed). Unfortunately, there's no way to find out the length of your line - BT Wholesale aren't telling.

Bascially, until you're actually on ADSL you can't tell for certain what you can get. Asking your neighbours and using the various speed estimators will give you a rough idea of what you're likely to get but it could vary but a couple of megabits/s either way.

crippy21

Standard Member
I get 10mb with Virgin but thats all through cable, i can check my phone number because its not connected through a BT line

what do you think will be the minimum speed i will get?

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
It depends on distance, I get about 5Mbit/sec because of some specific inteference (I suspect it's a mobile base station), with about 1.4km of wire to the exchange I might have got 6Mbit/sec.
Apart from that the service has been fine and stable.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I get 10mb with Virgin but thats all through cable, i can check my phone number because its not connected through a BT line

what do you think will be the minimum speed i will get?

Without even knowing how far away from the exchange you are (your second link didn't work), it's impossible to guess.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom