Sky BB & Netgear DG834PN

Maybe changing over to Sky BB from BTyahoo and I want to know if I can use my DG834PN on Sky BB

Sky provide their own 'locked' Netgear router which has a unique login and password. If you surf over to the Skyuser forums you'll find a method to extract the login details from the Sky router which you can then use with your own ADSL 2+ router.

it is possible to use your own router but sky wont support it and wont give u any information regarding it. sky use mac address authentication to give u your broadband service - your 'locked' netgear router has its own unique mac address which is stored on a database and which cant be changed

Sky BB is rubbish! I've had nothing but trouble with them and find them very unhelpful.

If I was you I would stay with BTyahoo or try someone else!

I wish I had stayed with NTL but thought I could save a few pounds!

You have been warned!

Sky BB is rubbish! I've had nothing but trouble with them and find them very unhelpful.

If I was you I would stay with BTyahoo or try someone else!

I wish I had stayed with NTL but thought I could save a few pounds!

You have been warned!

I can't agree with this comment, I have had sky for around 2 months now and I have had no problems, so this may be down to area or something. For £5 / month it is good value and you could put up with the odd drop out. I haven't had to deal with the customer services, so I can't comment here.

But don't dismiss them.

I can't agree with this comment, I have had sky for around 2 months now and I have had no problems, so this may be down to area or something. For £5 / month it is good value and you could put up with the odd drop out. I haven't had to deal with the customer services, so I can't comment here.

But don't dismiss them.

Lucky you. I've been with them for 3 months and had between 5 and 10 drop outs a day. The only way to get it back is re-boot router and PC/PS3.

Customer service have this really stupid 3 tier system where you get put through to tier 1 all the time and go through the same stupid things! eventually they say Tier 3 will call you back in 5 working days, which they don't!

Check here for people with the same problems. http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband-help/6174-tier-3-information-18.html.

Sorry to say this could still happen to you, but i don't wish it on anybody!

I think Sky Max is great value for money and overall I'm happy with it but I too got tired of the dropouts which seem to be a weakness of the Sky router. I changed mine for a Billion router (any ADSL2+ router will do really) and the dropouts stopped.

Sky broadband is great when it works, but when things go wrong it's very poor indeed. Sky customer services complicate even the simple things that other ISP's can fix in about 5 minutes. However i'm happy with Sky now after the problems i had at the start i.e. getting the order through and then having to hassle Sky to get them to send the router out.

You can extract the username and password from the router for the internet side of things i.e. getting onto easynets network (not the router login bit), but by doing so you break Sky's T&C's for sky broadband. As far as i'm aware nobody has had their account closed because they've extracted the username and password, yet at any rate.

I think Sky Max is great value for money and overall I'm happy with it but I too got tired of the dropouts which seem to be a weakness of the Sky router. I changed mine for a Billion router (any ADSL2+ router will do really) and the dropouts stopped.

Sky broadband is great when it works, but when things go wrong it's very poor indeed. Sky customer services complicate even the simple things that other ISP's can fix in about 5 minutes. However i'm happy with Sky now after the problems i had at the start i.e. getting the order through and then having to hassle Sky to get them to send the router out.

You can extract the username and password from the router for the internet side of things i.e. getting onto easynets network (not the router login bit), but by doing so you break Sky's T&C's for sky broadband. As far as i'm aware nobody has had their account closed because they've extracted the username and password, yet at any rate.

Thank you both for your info. I'll think that's the route I'm going to have to take!

If that don't work I'll have no choice but to cancel! That's if i can get out the contract.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom