Sky BB Connect problems (port 80 being blocked)

jimlad2000

Right will try to explain but not too good at pc talk/problems, I recently migrated over from plusnet due to starting a Sky contract. Everything was fine and had dl speeds of up to 180kb/s not that great but better than 60 kb/s from before:eek: until 5 days i lost my internet connection :thumbsdow although i'm still able to connect to xbox live.
I'm able to ping any ftp dl sites and have no problem pinging my netgear sky supplied router/google website etc, my brother PC whiz had me using command prompt and dl mozilla firefox through command prompt as thought it was my web browser but still the same problem, he thinks its my port 80 being blocked but can't do more untill he's able to get another computer there to test.

I've just phoned sky bb helpline lol and from what i could tell my line/ account is fine no blocks etc (although it was hard for me to understand what they were saying) they need me to be infront of my pc to do some tests although I'm sure they will just go through all the stuff my bro got me to do.

So at the moment I'm paying 17 quid a month for xbox live and no web browsing so not happy.

Pc is running Vista with all the updates well until 5 days ago

Can anyone suggest anything?

regards

James

jimlad2000

Just to add I've been through all the checks by Sky bb helpline to no avail:mad:

I;ve even removed all virus protection and firewalls but still the same problem:confused:

I've yet to test if another pc is able to use the internet via my connection so cant discount that yet as the problem my be with my pc

apart from that does anyone have any ideas?

Rygar

Novice Member
Your not by any chance using Peer Guardian or similar p2p protection software are you? If so try disabling.

jimlad2000

Your not by any chance using Peer Guardian or similar p2p protection software are you? If so try disabling.

no not using anything like that

avinitski

xboxlive uses the following ports

• UDP 88
• UDP 3074
• TCP 3074

im pretty sure Sky doesn't block port 80 as that is what your web browser uses. You sure its not some god awful package like Norton, McAfee or even the router firewall settings?

After reading your post again its a little unclear whats going on, have you just install Firefox and with that you get no web access?

jimlad2000

After reading your post again its a little unclear whats going on, have you just install Firefox and with that you get no web access?

yes I have firefox installed and the problem is still the same no web access, I have removed all virus protection etc.

Regarding my router firewall settings what do i need to look out for on this, also i hav'nt changed the settings since it was last working properly.

regards

Mac Sami

Let's try making things a little clearer (sorry, I found your huuuuge first single paragraph post a tad confusing):

1. Can you get web site access using Internet Explorer?
2. Can you get web site access using Firefox?
3. Using the command prompt, what results do you get when you type "ping google.co.uk" (without the quotes)?
4. Using the command prompt, what results do you get when you type "nslookup google.co.uk" (without the quotes)?
5. Can you access your router at http://www.192.168.0.1 (default username: admin; default password: sky).

jimlad2000

Let's try making things a little clearer (sorry, I found your huuuuge first single paragraph post a tad confusing):

sorry :D

1. Can you get web site access using Internet Explorer?
no
2. Can you get web site access using Firefox?
no
3. Using the command prompt, what results do you get when you type "ping google.co.uk" (without the quotes)?

I'm able to ping any ftp dl sites and get a reply with no information loss and have no problem pinging my netgear sky supplied router/google website etc

4. Using the command prompt, what results do you get when you type "nslookup google.co.uk" (without the quotes)?
not sure as at work at the moment bhut will try when i get home

5. Can you access your router at http://www.192.168.0.1 (default username: admin; default password: sky).
yes can access my router no problems and am able to play games on xbox live with my xbox 360

thanks for replying :)

Mac Sami

I'd still like to see the actual results from the ping test.
The same goes for the nslookup test.

My thinking is that the DNS servers you are using are not working correctly (an issue that has been reported by other Sky users); see http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband-help/11662-dns-failure.html for further information.

Try using DNS servers 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. This cured the problem for me with regard to web browsing (I could still run other services, such as uTorrent).

Other suggestions I have read suggest turning off UPnP in the router's configuration.

jimlad2000

update

Well i just had my mate round with his laptop and he had the same problems i was having, anyway I just plugged the RJ45 back in and was just about to vent my anger on the sky helpline and noticed I was dl the latest windows update and I now have my internet connection back:smashin:

I'm none the wiser mind just glad to be back online after 2 weeks, would you think its worth chasing for compensation over this ? i spent 3-4hrs on the helpline + 2 weeks without connection.

thanks to everyone for their help.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom