1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ Basic questions

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by dpluxor, Feb 2, 2005.

1. dpluxor

dpluxor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Forgive me if these questions have already been answered a millions times over but I would like to change my Sky to Sky+ and have a few basic questions about it all.

For me to do it through Sky, its gonna cost £199 for a box (cos I dont want Multiroom) and £60 for the installation, this is for the 80gb version. I have noticed on Ebay a lot of boxes for sale, some new, some a few months old, some 80gb, some 160gb, some 250gb. They range from £100-£200 and there are many different models.

If I bought one of these, I assume I need to tell Sky so that they can switch me over to Sky+ ?? Does it cost any extra on the subscription, someone said it costs a tenner unless you get a couple of movie or sports channels, at the moment we are on the basic £19.50 package. My worry is that sky will refuse to make the changes unless you have bought their equipment and I will have wasted my money.

My mate has just had sky+ fitted and had to have another LNB on the dish, does that mean 2 sky cables coming down the wall ?? Is this optional or necessary, I realise its needed if you want to watch a different programme to what you are recording etc. but can it work without 2 LNBs if you wanted ??

There a different models out their, Pace 3100 (model number may be wrong?) and a few others, are any boxes more highly regarded than others ??

Thanks in advance

David

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    The box you get through Sky has a 40gig drive, not 80gig. There's nothing to stop you, AFAIK, from sourcing your own box and then ringing Sky to activate it.

Your mate will have a had a quad LNB fitted to replace the original dual LNB. Sky+ will work off a dual LNB as it needs two feeds for recording. You only really need the quad if you're going for multi room.

If you want to make use of the recording functionallity of the box, you'll need to pay the extra £10 per month as you're only on the basic package.

The Pace boxes are well regarded, try to avoid an Amstrad one.

HTH

John

3. kamza

kamza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I was in the same situation in that before we had SKY+ fitted, I was on the £19.50pm package and was faced with paying SKY an extra £10pm month for recording facilities on SKY+.

What you can do is for an extra £10.50pm you can add on Sky Movies 2,4,6 & 8 and Sky Sports 1 & 3 (£30pm in total). OK, suppose whatever way you look at it, it's still an extra tenner a month but at least you get 4 movie channels and 2 sports channels for that cost.

4. dpluxor

dpluxor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In reply to Johns comment about the LNB's, dunno what he's had fitted but he did say he now has two LNBS pointing at the dish, i.e. an additional one not just a new one. I'm going to go and see it tomorrow so will get some more information. When Sky talk about 2 premium channels, does that mean 2 packages (i.e. Sky movies and Sky Sports) or literally 2 channel (i.e. Movies 1 & 3 if there is such a package)

Thanks

David

5. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If there are two lnbs on one dish they are attached using a 'wizard arm'. These were used in the early days to receive signals from two different sattelites. The slight offset of the second lnb allowed this to happen. For the standard minidish all that is needed is to replace the single lnb with a quad.

6. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DIY is certainly cheaper than getting sky involved (no disrespect bluevanman!). Also you get to have control over which box you get - £199 for a dodgy amstrad would wind me up no end.

For this you will need :thumbsup: (blue peter styleeeeeeee!):
    1) A Sky+ box - find it on eBay if you like, or you can buy new - don't buy one because it has a viewing card or is claiming to have a card with active channels on it, it will be a useless to you.
    2) A twin or quad LNB. You can get quads new on eBay for about £15-£20. My thoughts are... get a quad just incase you want to do something else in 2 years - they don't really cost any more).
    3) Another length of sat cable to go from the dish to the box. You can get this £0.99 a metre from maplins and the F-connectors are £0.99. I'm sure you can get this cheaper though.

• Climb up the ladder and swap the LNBs. You may need to tweak the dish as the extra weight of the LNB can sometimes mess with the alignment.
    • Check the signal - I set up a portable telly at the window so I can see the signal stregth/quality meter while I'm making adjustments. No need to check all the outputs of the LNB as they should all be the same.
    • Add the extra cable doen the side of the house. If you can't get it through the existing hole you will have to drill. Make sure you use wood drill bits and the screw action on your drill. :devil: (joke)
    • Plug the extra cable into your box and check the signal stregth on both inputs. NB: For some reason the stregth on my INPUT 2 is low, but according to bluevanman we are ok as long as quality is high (thanks for that).
    • Phone sky - give them the version number/serial number of the new box and ask them to activate it, and to switch on Sky+ facilities.
    • Sit back at the fruit of you labour and relax in the knowledge that it only cost you about £130 instead of £260.