Sky Backtracks on HDTV/HDMI/HDCP statments

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by mooseepoo, Jun 23, 2005.

Tags:
  1. mooseepoo

mooseepoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Taken from another Forum

Ok Ive just got a press article from Sky regarding their HDTV boxes and they've now backtracked on their original statement!

Originally (as mentioned MANY times in MANY posts) only TV's that had a HDMI/HDCP connection would be supported by Sky when they launched the service in the new year.

However with over 200,000 plasmas / LCD TV's sold that are not compliant to the above "standard" - Sky has opted to include a analogue "component" connection (which most plasmas already have!) The picture quality is of lesser quality than a HDMI connection- but it basically means you can view HDTV on a non-HDTV screen.

However- some words of caution:

- Apparently only the FIRST batch of HDTV Sky Boxes will include the Component connection. After that they will exclude it from all future models meaning ideally, if you're in the market for a TV, you should really look for a plasma that includes a HDMI/HDCP connection. For those of you who dont want to splash out on another screen or connection upgrade, get your HDTV Sky box as quick as you can!

- Although Sky will ensure their own channels can be received using the analogue component connection, there's no guarantee any independent channels will support the format meaning if you're using the component connection, you may not get all the programming you could be entitled to if you had the HDMI connection.

If its true then its pretty good news for people who are looking for a cheap LCD TV without HDMI/HDCP connections!

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    Hi Moose: There are lots of posts from last week or two about this. There is more to compatablity with component video and hidef than just having the sockets.....of course if you set the box to downres everything to SD 576i then they may go away.

Gordon

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Good to hear, looks hope HD resolutions over Component is really true.

I'll be upgrading anyway because I don't think a Blu-Ray player will work over Component :(

I have to say, I resent that piece of writing. I do have an HDTV screen, and HDTV screens with only Component inputs like mine have been selling as "HDTV screens" in other countries for awhile.