1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Autoview and the DMR E30

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Faust, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Not sure if this is the right part of the forum for this question, if not apologies and I'm sure someone will put me on the right road. Has anyone else come across this problem when using autoview in the Sky EPG? If I set the silver Panny 30 box to autoview, then set the timer on my Panasonic DMR E30 one minute before the programme is due to start, all it records is audio with a black screen. The same happens if I actually have the t.v. on at the time - the RGB signal is pushed through the E30 tuner and the t.v. just receives audio only. However, if I employ the same procedure, but instead of the E30 I choose the VCR to tape the programme then everything is fine - curious. The autoview seem to work O.K in all other respects, except when used in conjunction with the DMR E30.

:confused:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    Sounds as though one of the options in the E30 setup menu is incorrectly set. What settings do you have at the moment?

3. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    E30 set-up AV1 RGB AV2 RGB-PAL Ext1 although I have tried AV2 set to Decoder. However, it doesn't make any difference to the autoview whether I use Ext1 or Decoder although Panasonic recommend Ext1. Not sure if that helps you or not as I am not sure what other info you require.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    You should have a 'normal' option for AV2 - set it as that.

5. plasmasrule

plasmasrule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Panny hs2 and had an identical problem, I found that connecting the tv out scart from my satellite reciever an Amstad (someone has to own them) to the hs2 and using the Amstads video scart to output the sat signal to my av amp completely cured the problem. I can now record from the Amstad and view a dvd if required or engage the time slip on ongoing satelite recordings, something which gave me the sound but a blankscreen before. It must be something to do with the wiring in the two outputs perhaps someone with a bit more tech know how might give the reason why this none standard wiring method works. Hope this helps.

6. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Believe me I have tried every option in the set-up menu i.e. normal, decoder, Ext1, Ext2 nothing makes any difference. Even if I set the autoview and don't set the timer but just wait for the Sky box to turn itself on, all I get is first a black screen, then approx 30 seconds later I get audio. What's more, I also lose control of the Sky box and the only way to restore the picture via the E30 is to press the EPG button on the Sky remote. Pulling up the EPG seems to restore order, not sure why. If the Sky box is already turned on and I simply use autoview to change channels then there isn't a problem, it only happens when the Sky box comes out of standby mode.

7. mk

mk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have had the same 'black screen' issue with my E30. I found that setting AV2 to Video instead of RGB works fine now with Auto View.

Setting to Ext 1 or decorder doesn't appear ti make any difference to the above.

8. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    It has to be a problem with autoview rather than anything else I feel sure. I have done a little more research and found that the problem only exists with the Sky box coming out of standby when used with the autoview function. I tried just setting the Sky box to autoview a programme without using the E30 timer. I put the box into standby, t.v. turned on and tuned into the Sky box, then waited. Sure enough, the Sky box came out of standby and all I got was the usual audio with black screen. If I try the same thing i.e. put the Sky box into standby but without autoview, then manually press the Sky remote to turn the digi box back on, hey presto, a picture is received straight away. Anyone explain that one?

9. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just a thought, try switching the E30 on AFTER the Digibox has come out of standby. The 'auto-switching' signal on SCART may be causing your E30 to 'switch' to composite video as the Digibox powers up. I think that even though you select RGB out, when the Digibox fires up, it sends a voltage signal down the SCART, switching the receiving device (E30) to composite - which has no video on it! I seem to remember hearing of some users 'snipping' the offending pin out on their SCART cables to stop this happening.

Or, why not leave your Digibox on instead of standby? I never turn mine off.

10. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Good point about setting the timer to come on after autoview. The only problem with doing that is that Sky seem to cut it so fine with autoview i.e. somtimes only seconds before programme starts, that there is a real danger of missing the begining of the programme. However, your second suggestion is one I have already adopted. The autoview facility quite happily changes channels for you whilst the digi box is switched on, and the difference in power consumption is I believe quite negligible.