Sky Audio streams compressed?

WhyAyeMan

Can someone confirm if the dynamics of Sky's audio streams are compressed.

I have had 2 boxes now, an Amstrad and a Thomson Sky+ box. On both boxes, I have watched a recording from the hard disk of a movie, and both appear to have squashed dynamics on the audio - that is, the effect one would get from enabling DRC on a DVD player - speech is about the same loudness as effects like explosions.

I know from watching DVDs that this not how the films I watched were authored.

I have tried both from my TV's speakers, and also by routing the optical signal from the Sky receiver into an external DAC and into a high quality hifi system - the effect seems largely the same.

So, does Sky put Dynamic Range Compression into their Audio streams?

WhyAyeMan

Well since nobody seems to know anything about this (and frankly, given that its a forum about high quality AV equipment, I am absolutely amazed) I can say that it must be the quality of skys broadcasts. Tried it tonight on a 1st generation Sky+ Pace box through my parents home cinema system on a main movie channel (not recorded) and the sound is still much poorer than I expected.

So, without any confirmation, I'd say that Sky's audio is very compressed. Hope this might help someone.

Yours, flabbergasted that nobody else has noticed, Paul.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom