Sky+ Audio output

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Cerbera, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Cerbera

Cerbera
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've successfully got the Sky+ box outputting DD to my amp but want to also connect it to my PC. Is it possible to also output from the stereo audio connectors to the PC at the same time. I've tried without success so far, but it might be something I'm missing !

Cheers

2. Cerbera

Cerbera
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All sorted now, dodgy cables !

3. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Can only speak for my setup here BUT.

I have the Sky+ hooked up via digital-optical to the Denon Amp and via the LR phono's to an audio switch box which in turn is hooked up to a wireless headphone unit.

My settings via Services, 4, 2 are

Output = Stereo
    Volume = 1/2 way
    Output = Dolby D
    Background = On
    Beep = Off

Have no problems using either unit (amp or headphones) on their own or at the same time.

Regards,

Guy

4. Roman

Roman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Actually you might find that running the Digital and Analogue outputs alongside each other proves to be an interesting comparison. I have done this with my Sky+ Box hooked up to my Tag AV32R and to my astonishment the Analogue sounds better for everything but the DD5.1 transmissions. I thought it might be my Monster Cable Optical interconnect but swapping it for other cables made no difference. I now only use the Digital connection for SKY Premier. I guess the DACS in the SKY+ Box are good quality!

Cheers, Roman

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Really? Wow. Digital SKY+ output into my Bryston SP1.7 sounds much better than the analogue feed from the Sky+ even in stereo. I think that may be more of a reflection on the performance of the AV32R than the that of the Sky+ box.

6. Roman

Roman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You may be right!

I haven't tried straight stereo though, its all been in PLII mode. I'll give stereo a go tonight, not that it should make any difference.

What kind of optical cable do you use?

The other odd thing I have noticed is that when I use the Digital connection for 2 channel broadcasts from Movies 1, 2 and 3 it remixes back into PLII but without any output to the subwoofer. I know that 2.0 sound has no subwoofer channel but the PLII remix should output bass to the subwoofer from the other channels. This feature is not specifc to my Tag, my old Rotel used to do the same thing. When this happens I find it best to use Analogue connections so that the subwoofer is used.

Cheers, Mark

7. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    The cheapest I could find :) . I got it from Maplin's, I think - it's one of those ones that have mini-TOS as well as regular TOS plugs, and the whole plug rotates 180 degress depending on which you need. Precision engineering. :laugh:

Actually at some point I must do a side-by-side comparison with the digital coax link from the DVD player and see if there's an audible difference. (Coax cable is slightly better quality, it's an Ecosse Producer).

Dolby PLII is an algorithm that constructs a 5.0 signal from a 2.0 or 3.0 (third channel matrixed) source. 5.0, not 5.1. So if any of your main speakers are set to Small then the bass should be redirected to the subwoofer as normal, but if they're all set to Large then there won't be any sub output.

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Not sure about that,Nicolas....!....I wouldn't use the analogue outputs of my Sky box for anything other than a direct feed to the TV for when we dont put the rest of the system on.....the quality difference is immediately obvious,and the digital is MUCH better than the analogue.

9. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    I must confess I was a bit surprised by Roman's original statement that digital-into-AV32R didn't sound any better than taking the Sky+ analogue output direct. I've never liked the sound the sound of the original AV32R much, but I certainly wouldn't have expected it to be that bad. Maybe there's something else causing him problems...?

10. Roman

Roman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi Nicolas,

My speakers are all currently set to large. I have tried setting speakers all to small but this made no difference, still no subwoofer. I do get subwoofer output from the analogue connections though, so that's what I use now for Dolby Surround sources from Sky Movies 1, 2 and 3.

Incidentally the Tag instruction manual states that in PLII mode a subwoofer will always be used if one is present, I suspect this is an error as your explanation sounds very plausible.

Cheers, Roman

11. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I'd imagine so,Nicolas.....the individual "house" sound of the various processors apart,the TAG is well up to the job of differentiating between a good digital feed,and poor quality analogue from a Sky box....I certainly can't imagine that the Sky box's DACs are superior to the Tag's!

12. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    To be fair the Sky+ box only needs 2 audio DACs rather than 8, and doesn't have audio decoding, bass management, or pre-amplification circuitry, and it's sold at a subsidised price, so it's not totally impossible. But I'll grant you it's pretty unlikely (especially when you factor in the price of the video circuitry and hard disk!) :)

Another possibility, of course, is that the Sky+ digital output has a much higher level of jitter on it than is encountered by its own internal DACs. But my own experiences with my SP1.7 suggest that this is not the case.

That definitely doesn't sound right. I suggest you contact Tag McLaren tech support (quickly, while such a thing still exists! :p ).