Sky+ Audio out question

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by RayB, Sep 3, 2005.

1. RayB

RayB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

What is the best Audio out option to AV Receiver on a Sky+ box, the normal analogue L&R or the optical out?

I know I would need to use optical for DD Movies but don't subscribe to Movie channels

So what is best for non DD normal transmissions in terms of sound quality?

Also is one method better than the other in terms of minimising any potential lip synch problems?

Cheers

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The main reason why optical is considered better than the phonos is down to the belief that the DAC (digital to analogue convertor) in the amp will be of a higher standard than the one in the SKY+.
    Standalone amps/receivers should in theory be better but only your ears will be able to tell if there indeed a difference.

Assuming there isn't a broadcast issue creating the lip-sync the most common problem is with the image lagging behind the audio. The display takes a few milliseconds to generate and process the video data while the audio is not delayed hence they lose sync.
    I am not aware of any differences in terms of creating lip-sync errors when comparing analogue and digital outputsbut I do believe that amplifiers which have built in audio delay functions work off a digital input, I could be wrong though:)

3. RayB

RayB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for a detailed answer Starburst, I think I'll order an optical lead then!
    I don't have any noticable lip synch issues at present but was curious as to whether the different audio out options had any discernable affect on these issues