SKY Aspect ratio switching question

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by TheSeer, Apr 19, 2004.

1. TheSeer

TheSeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello all,

Just pondering whether to switch to SKY after tearing my hear out trying to get a reliable Freeview reception.

One question I have is whether SKY automatically switches screen aspect ratios between 4:3 and widescreen programming. Freeview does this and I'm not sure I could live with pictures where people have been stretched horizontally...........

Cheers

2. davej

davej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sky box will send the widescreen control signal to your TV as long as you've activated "SCART Control" in its menues, its then down to the TV to see this and select the correct screen format. Which I expect it does if you're seeing the aspect ratio switch automatically with your freeview box.

3. TheSeer

TheSeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for that DaveJ

4. Lanus

Lanus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If i may jump in, when i turn the scart control off on my standard digibox, the anamorphic transmissions are then displayed wrongly. The top and bottom inch or so of the image is displayed offscreen. Is this the normal opperation? It makes recording into non scart inputs pointless and my new dvd recorder doesnt have scart input.

5. davej

davej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like your TV is choosing the wrong zoom for the picture - having Scart control on will have been overriding the TV's choice and pushing it into the correct mode. If this is the case then I'd expect recordings to be ok, it should just be a case of telling the TV the correct mode to view them in.

6. Lanus

Lanus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    >>Sounds like your TV is choosing the wrong zoom for the picture<<

Sorry, i didnt explain myself right at all. Its a problem i have when viewing the anamorphic broadcasts thru a standard RF input like i have on my video. Part of the image goes off-screen then. So no matter if you choose 4:3 or 16:9 mode or any inbetween ratio, the top and bottom part of the image is displayed off-screen. Im assuming this is simply one of the foibles of the system when not using a scart but since my video or dvd recorder dont have scart inputs im screwed and the only way to record anamorphic broadcasts that are watchable is to turn the satellite to 4:3 mode instead of 16:9.

7. davej

davej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're watching via RF I suspect the problem is down the RF system being based on 4:3. To put widescreen onto RF the picture is effectively squashed up horizontally by the Sky box (unlike terrestrial transmissions which simply get the black bars added and so can still fit in 4:3 format). How this picture is shown is down to the TV. I pipe the RF output from my digibox around the house and I've never noticed any loss of the top or bottom of the image, just a lot of very skinny people when I watch on a 4:3 set. On the widescreen set I can lose parts of the image but it depends on the zoom mode I choose.

If your video and dvdr don't have Scart then I assume they must at least have composite/audio sockets? The first thing I would be doing is using a Scart-composite cable to feed them from the digibox and watching through that instead of RF. Can't guarantee it would cure the picture size problem (though there's a good chance it would) but it should result in a noticeable improvement in picture quality. I'd expect the dvdr to also have rgb inputs so a Scart-Rgb feed to that would be even better.

8. Lanus

Lanus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Discovered a bit more about the problem.
    When a program has the 16:9 tag to auto switch the tv into 16:9 mode whereby i cant change it, then the formatting is perfect. But if a channel doesnt have the 16:9 tag like anamorphic C5 appears not to have, then the image goes off the top and bottom of the screen when i choose 16:9 anam manually. Since the RF doesnt carry this tag then all RF input, ie my video, is formatted wrongly.
    Basically when it switches automatically to 16:9 it displays correctly but, when i choose 16:9 anam manually its all wrong (no matter if its an anamorphic braodcast or not, i can see the top/bottom going off an expanded 4:3 image too). On one hand it would seem to be a TV problem but then it also must be a Sky digibox problem, i cant think straight anymore!

9. davej

davej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did some experimentation on my Sanyo set - the 16:9 zoom mode and 14:9 zoom mode both lose parts of the image, to view widescreen properly when choosing the mode manually I need to select the "full" zoom mode, so this must be the mode chosen by the set when the widescreen mode is chosen automatically. I'd expect there'll be something similar on your set, it'll just have a misleading name as it does on my mine.