1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ archiving to a PC

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by grandsire02, Jan 21, 2005.

1. grandsire02

grandsire02
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Sky+ with a Pace 3100 box and want to archive to my computer (some distance away and upstairs) so that I can edit etc. before final storage on DVD. Possibilities I have thought of are a) downloading to a portable hard drive, b) recording on an adjacent DVD recorder and then producing a 2nd DVD after editing (a bit long-winded and expensive on DVD discs though), c) some sort of radio link and d) a cable connection. What is the easiest way of doing this and what equipment is recommended? Guidance on what to connect where would also be appreciated, as I’m not very advanced!

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The data stored on the Sky+ internal drive is encrypted, and must be played out through the Sky+ box, so your option has to be video out to PC. Option (b) would work, but your other options will be limited by the distance between the Sky+ box and your PC.

3. grandsire02

grandsire02
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any way a portable hard drive can be connected to the video out of the Sky + box (I assume the latter is the currently unused SCART socket)?

4. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Portable HD's normaly only have a USB or Firewire connection. Even if you could connect using this method you wouldnt be able to read the data on the SKY+ box as it is encrypted. There are devices made by the Archos/Creative/NHJ that will do the job but require recording in real time. I have the NHJ MPM-202 £399 from the Gadjet shop. Records a good picture but unfortunately audio recording is mono

Your other options are

To record to external DVD/HD recorder such as a Panasonic E85/E95, Tosiba WS32 etc

Record to a PC with a capture card. This could be a desktop PC or Laptop. If the latter the would need to be a USB2 Capture device. Avoid USB1, just doesn't have the bandwidth. If the distance between the PC and SKY reciever is a problem then you could use a video sender though thes are subject to radio interference

Record to a dedicated HD recorder with an Ethernet port. Dont know too much about these. KiSS make one and it records in DIVX format (I think). I beleive you could then copy it via the ethernet to PC.

I bought yesterday a Panasonic E85 to do just what you are looking to do. Havent tried it out yet, but it seemed to me the simplest rout to take. After all wit blank DVD-r's costing penny's theses day

5. nrmsmith

nrmsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Regarding the NHJ MPM-202 :

Does it playback MP4 video files in Nero Digital MP4 format?

Thanks
    Nigel