1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky + apartment installation

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by tim k, Mar 1, 2005.

1. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Due to the communal dish I am not permitted to install a dish outside my apartment, however i found this post in a search from this forum in 2002.

''''''There will be a cost in getting a Second feed installed and as you have access to a communial dish, that would be your best option.

It may be as simple as disconnecting the Analogue Cable to the UHF Roof Aireal and connecting it to a feed off the distibution box for the communial dish.

It may be as complex as having to thread a new cable throgh the building.

You need to find out how easy it would be to run a second feed from the distribution box of the communial dish. Whether the owners of the flat complex will allow you to do this. At what cost to you and if your landlord would be willing to pay for it (most unlikely), splt the costs or require you to pay the full cost (more than a good chance).

If the block owners will not/cannot run a new second feed, you will have to look at the option of converting the TV Arieal cable into a second feed. The Sky line of thinking is that you must not break the cble from dish to box BUT I use F-Connection Termination plates in my installation at home and have had no problems what so ever. If the Arieal socket and the Sky socket are next to each other, great. This option depends on the configuration and location of the areial distribution to the Sky Distribution. You may be able to run a fly-lead from your cable to the Sky feed and use that. Not recommended but in theory at least should work.

As to using a dish through the window, that would be a last resort option and you will have to use an independent installer. Explain exactly what you require and if you find somebody willing to try, make sure you can at least get the cost of the Sky+ box back if it fails.

If you can only get a single feed but must have PVR features, Tivo would be a good option to look at. It will not record one channel while watching another but you can watch a recorded channel while recording another.

Running a cable from your neighbour would work unless of course they already have Sky and are using the feed.

Good luck,

Guy '''''''''''''

Now i have a central panel in the apartment that has lots of different connections incl the sky connector (however this is not sky + compatible im told) but what exactly is guy explaining above about using the tv aerial feeds, As I have on my control panel - 2 X tv, 1 X Return, 1 X Spare, 1 X FM and 1 X Sat. I think he's saying that i can transform one of the TV ports into a Sat port by disconnecting it at the aerial end and swap it onto the sat distribution box, but 1)would this work and 2) does the second sat feed for sky plus just plug into the old tv port.

I will solve this sky + issue!!!

2. hog

hog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    hi tim
    depending how your system is wired from the communal riser/switch room , if your second tv feed is wired back to the riser ,then its just a case of connecting it to the switching unit ,which sends the sky signals to the apartments, then connecting to your sky+ box.....if you only have a single cable from the switch to your apartment then you could use a stacker which will send two lots of sky signals down one cable then de-combines them at your socket,giving you two dish feeds, this depends on a few things though , if there is a spare way on the switching unit for you to use, if you can get access to it, you may find it easier to contact the system installer who would be able to tell you straight away if it were possible or not?? hope this is of some use if not get back to me.
    cheers ant

3. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply, i rang rayler systems in brum, the guys who installed it, and mentioned the above, and they also agreed it was possible to convert the 2ndary tv feed into my very needed 2ndary sky feed, but they said this would depend on whether there was space on the 6 connection unit thing that sent all the sky feeds out to the apartments, he said if there wasnt a space, it would need to be upgraded to a 12 connector, and this could cost in excess of 250 quid. Do you know if this is true, I'm unsure as to whether to persue this option.

4. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am sure there are others in your block who would like Sky+ if it gives you 6 extra feeds thats only about £42 each!

Wackojacko32

5. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Becuase the apartment block is mostly rented out to young professionals living and working in the city center most have 6-12 month contracts, and therefore sky isnt really on their agenda, we bought our place, and really want it installed!

6. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK just a thought!

7. hog

hog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    hi tim
    a basic 5 /12 mains powered switching unit can be bought for around £100 quid here in mcr , so i presume there must be some other work involved ??as its only a ten min job to change the switch over ,
    good luck :thumbsup:ps you can allso buy an 8way switch cheaper than the twelve way if its only going to your apartment.