1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ and VCR interference

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by jradley, Apr 24, 2004.

1. jradley

jradley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Hi,

Sorry if this has been discussed before - I did a search but couldn't find anything - however I'm surprised this hasn't cropped up before.

I recently got a new AV shelf to accomodate a centre speaker instead of my old TV stand which wouldn't, and arranged all my AV gear (namely Sky+, DVD and VCR) differently to how it had been. The VCR is now on the shelf directly above the Sky + with the DVD to its right. Originally the VCR sat below the Sky+ box.

I don't use the VCR much to record so it was a while before I noticed that recordings made now have awful picture quality. The picture is littered with "sparklies" - just like what used to appear on old analogue satellite when it rained.

By trial and error I've realised it is the positioning of the Sky+ box that is doing it. If the VCR is above and right it is ok, but directly above or directly to the side it is not. I've not tried again but I guess directly below will also still be alright. I don't really want to put the Sky+ above the VCR as this will put it closer to my centre speaker - I have magnetic and vibration concerns, neither of which I really want.

Has anyone else experienced this type of problem and if so established the best positioning to avoid it ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,

John

2. Member 34135

Member 34135

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like you have some kind of EMC issue there with the two boxes, can you determine whether the pickup is caused by the boxes themselves or whether it is the cabling.

If it is the cabling it might be worth upgrading to leads with ferrite supressors on them, such as Profigold.

Andy.

3. jradley

jradley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Hi Andy,

Thanks for the tips.

Actually, I think I may have been a bit hasty in my diagnosis :oops:

Although the re-positioning initally appeared to have fixed the problem, actually this now seems coincidental and more likley due to ejecting and reloading the tape, although I had tried various tapes with the vcr in the various positions with consistent results.

After a while the problem returned with the vcr in its new position so I figured the problem may be due to dirty heads, even though I had ran an Allsop wet/dry cleaner tape through it a few times with absolutely no change whatsoever.

I popped the lid of the vcr and manually cleaned the heads (folks don't try this unless you *know* what you are doing, you can write off your vcr very easily, or kill yourself from electric shock) and this has made a vast improvment - still not brilliant but getting there. I will do this again and see what happens.

Cheers,

John

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Long shot but is it a Panasonic VCR?

5. jradley

jradley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Hi,

I guess this is getting off topic for this forum (maybe it could get moved to the VCR one ?) - but yes, it is a Panasonic.

After about 12 years of excellent service with an NV-F70 I got this SV120 - I'm not really happy with it and may think of going to DVD-R for long term archiving instead.

Cheers,

John

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I had what looks like a very similar problem with my first FJ710, analogue style sparklies on playback of recordings and on pre-recorded material while programing recorded on the VCR played back fine on other machines.
    The service guy couldn't fix it so the VCR was replaced with a new one (same model) and a few months that to developed the same fault.

The next guy was able to identify the fault as he had seen it on other Panasonic VCR's and he said it was now a known design flaw, can't remember the exact fault but it had something to do with electrical earthing of the case/mainboard.