• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky and TV-Link issue

TSUK

Standard Member
Hi,

Originally we had a Sky box in our downstairs study which all TVs in the house could tune in to. Recently we had Sky+ HD installed in the lounge which connects only to the TV there via HDMI.

As no-one watches the old Sky box anymore I figured I might as well try to control it from my room and get some use out of it (we took the multiroom package). Recently we had a Sky engineer come out to fix our faulty HDD in the Sky+ HD box (3 days old hah!) and whilst he was there he moved the TV link that used to be in the lounge (and worked controlling the old Sky box in the study) to my room.

He left it connected but mentioned that as the red LED wasn't illuminated that it wasn't receiving power and that I needed to get a powered equivalent.

This is where I get a little confused. From looking on the web and visiting Maplin, there doesn't seem to be a powered TV-Link equivalent.

The setup on the old sky box in the study seems to be coax coming out of the RF2 and into a box on the wall (I'm guessing some kind of booster) and then coax back out into the wall (again, guessing this is what sends the signal round the house so any TV can tune into Sky from any aerial point).

I've checked the engineer menu on the Sky box and the RF2 power option is on.

What I don't understand is the TV-Link used to work fine in the lounge (the next room through the wall) but not from upstairs even though it seems to be all on the same circuit so to speak.

I'm assuming the TV-Link isn't receiving the necessary power to get it working, any ideas what I could try?

Thanks.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
What was the set up when the Link was in the lounge controlling the Sky box in the study? Was the "box on the wall" used?

TSUK

Standard Member
To the best of my knowledge, the TV-Link simply bridged the aerial on the TV in the lounge exactly like I am trying to do on the TV upstairs.

Unfortunately I was not there when the engineer attended so I can't say for sure.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
To the best of my knowledge, the TV-Link simply bridged the aerial on the TV in the lounge exactly like I am trying to do on the TV upstairs.

???

If it worked before, the Link in the lounge, had to have a connection to RF2 on the Sky box in the study. Are you sure what you said earlier is correct? ie you could change channel on the Sky box in the study from the lounge? (Why would you want to?)

TSUK

Standard Member
???

If it worked before, the Link in the lounge, had to have a connection to RF2 on the Sky box in the study. Are you sure what you said earlier is correct? ie you could change channel on the Sky box in the study from the lounge? (Why would you want to?)

The Sky box is, and has always been in the study. Previously we used a TV-Link in the lounge which worked fine in controlling the Sky box in the study (until we got the HD box in the lounge which is why it is no longer needed).

All that has happened is the TV-Link has moved upstairs from the lounge.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
OK gotchya.

First thing to try is to plug the link into another upstairs aerial output, (try them all), and see if it lights.

TSUK

Standard Member
Ok. I've tried connecting the TV-Link on all TVs in the house, both in the back of the telly with the aerial feeding into it, and also directly to the aaerial entry into the room. None of them make the red LED illuminate.

I also found out about the old setup, apparently the TV-Link was in the back of the old VHS/DVD combo with the aerial going into it. This then connected to the TV (though oddly, it never had to be on to watch Sky on the television).

I'm now totally confused. I'm starting to think either a Powermid or calling an aerial guy might be the easiest solution as our setup seems rather convoluted.

logiciel

I'd start from scratch, with Videosenders, to send the channels one way and the remote control back the other.
Powermids are only IR Extenders.

TSUK

Standard Member
I'd start from scratch, with Videosenders, to send the channels one way and the remote control back the other.
Powermids are only IR Extenders.

I get the picture and sound perfectly via the aerial so the only functionality I'm missing is being able to change the channel. From looking briefly on the net video senders seem a bit more costly than a remote solution.

The Powermid seemed like a good idea for around £20 but it's two more items and they require power, which is why I was trying to get the TV-Link working.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
Put it back in the living room - does it light up there?
If not, think logically about what has changed since it did work.
If not, then I am afraid it is a trip up into to the loft...........

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom