Sky and TV in lounge, MCE in study...

B

Blakey

Hi,

I have a Sky box connected to my LCD TV in my lounge and a MCE computer in my study. They are too far apart to connect with cables sensibly. I don't want to move the PC into the lounge.

Is there a way to (preferably wirelessly) connect the two so that I can record TV from the Sky box onto the PC and then play that back onto the TV again from the PC? Basically I'm looking for a little wireless box which will sit in the lounge by the TV and Sky box and effectively take the place of my MCE in the lounge and wirelessly interface to and from the MCE PC. Does such a thing exist?

Hope this makes sense... :)

Regards
Blakey

SOme of the new Wireless MEdia Boxes from Netgear or Linksys may do what you want over a WiFI network but it will be a struggle without cables. Amodded Xbox is another popluar opiton for viewng PC content in living room but not sure about sending TV to PC

You could move the sky box to the study and connect it to your MCE computer, then have an MCE extender in the lounge... an xbox 360 is the easiest option, you could also use a modded V1 xbox with the xbox MCX kit, but the software is a little tricky to get hold of at the mo.

deleted member said:
You could move the sky box to the study and connect it to your MCE computer, then have an MCE extender in the lounge... an xbox 360 is the easiest option, you could also use a modded V1 xbox with the xbox MCX kit, but the software is a little tricky to get hold of at the mo.

I can't easily move the sky box to the study becauseits wired under the carpets to the lounge.

I assume there is no wireless MCE extender which does both PC to TV *and* Sky to PC? Do you feel there will be in future?

Blakey

In my opinion - No. The general idea is for an MCE PC in the lounge and extenders across other rooms in the house. You may be able to get a wireless A/V transmitter/receiver working between skybox and MCE but I would not recommend it as you are likely to lose a lot of quality.

You have options...

1/ Move the PC into the lounge
2/ Get a second MCE PC for the lounge
3/ Move the sky box into the study
4/ Get a second sky box for the study
5/ Stick a freeview card in the PC

probably some others too...

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back