1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ and TiVo

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by togad, May 19, 2003.

1. togad

togad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all -

I've just got a mail from Sky offering Sky+ for £30 install, £199 for the box and £15 a month for the second subscription.

I already have TiVo, but must admit I find this offer tempting. A couple of questions for those who have both -

1. Did you keep the standard digibox with your TiVo, and put the Sky+ box in the second room? I must admit I'm struggling on this option due to the fact that the + box has DD outputs - yet I can't really think of any other benefit of having TiVo and Sky+ hooked up together.

2. How is everything hooked up to the dish - does just one cable come down, or will there now be two (I live in a listed building and it's dodgy enough having one cable coming down from the roof!)

TIA,

Gerald.

2. Threadkiller

Threadkiller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about your first question, but the second, the Sky+ uses twin lnb's, which would mean 2 cables.

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually it uses a quad LNB, if you keep your original box you'll have three cables! Anyway, surely if you have got away with the dish, nobody will complain about the wires!

Personally I'd suggest you keep the original box and use it with the Tivo, have all the kit in the same room. The RGB (TV) output of the Tivo should be connected to the VCR out of the sky+ you'll then get pass through when you connect the TV output of Sky+ to your TV. When you put Tivo into standby you can watch Sky+, live or recorded, switch Tivo on to watch what you have recorded (dont use Tivo for watching live satellite!) and it will override the output of sky+ without needing to switch the sky+ off.

DaveP