1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky and their lack of customer services and support.

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Phil Hinton, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,970
    It is not like me to make complaints and in the last 12 years as a Sky customer, be it digital or the old analogue system, I have never really had reason to complain.

However I decided to bite the bullet and order Sky + plus multiroom so I could have the recording in the livingroom and my old box in the cinema room (was even going to have it sdi upgraded).

So the Sky engineer arrives today and straight away says he can't do the instal because he would have to stand on a flat roof to get to the dish. He didn't even look at putting his ladders up the main wall, he kept insisting that he would have to go on the flat roof. Ok so i suggested moving the dish for him, i would go up and bring it down so he wouldn't hurt himself and he could then put it wherever he wanted (by this time i knew where i wanted him to put it and it wasn't the wall). "Ah, but I can't do that" came the reply.

I know all about H&S legislation as i have to risk assess all the time, but this joker was really taking the mickey. "You'll have to get an independant to do it" came the curt response as he walked away mentioning he wouldn't get his bonus this week now. Well pardon me but i wasn't stopping the guy, what has his bonus got to do with me?

So I phone Sky and ask for my money back and ask them to downgrade the package they upgraded the day before so i got my subscription to the + box cheaper. "Oh we can't do that you will have to phone up in 28 days to cancel, it was read out to you in the terms and conditions." Now this is what i really object to and i am sure it goes against my consumer rights, if i decide i don't want something within a set period (cooling off) i have a right to cancel, or at least this is my understanding. But not according to Sky, they can't change it because of their computer system or so i am told, i then speak to a manager who sprouts off legal jargon and that i must have agreed to the T&C's. By this time my head was about to explode, but i kept cool.

So after all this hassle from the muppets who cant climb ladders for H&S and customer services who deny me my rights as a comsumer I spoke to a nice independant dealer who said straight away he could do the job, he would climb a ladder and even stand on the flat roof. so it's costing me £40 extra but at least i don't have to put up with the Sky muppets again.

What I was looking for from Sky was a bit of customer support, but all I got was excuses and legal jargon being sprouted to me, not a human interaction to be had when the person won't listen, it was quite obvious they didn't care about me or my business.

I will have the Sky + installed by the independant and I am happy with the service they have promised, the guy was even human on the other end of the phone.

The moral to this story is to check everything with Sky before instal, make sure the fragile installers dont get hurt and don't try to get your money back.
    Go to an independant as you would when buying any other equipment, as at least you are a human being with them and i don't mind paying a few quid extra for that.

Rant over and my name is below.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Well, I had a similar experience yesterday. The guy turns up late, bringing the very thing that I was assured by the Sky rep would not be brought, so I was the one that cancelled the installation. The big problem with Sky is that their sales reps don't speak directly to the installers, and so the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.

Also, many of the sales reps seem to tell customers stuff which really isn't true, and they are allowed to get away with it. The Sky rep you spoke to was talking absolute rubbish - under the distance selling regulations, you can cancel the Sky order within 7 days of the intended delivery date, and if Sky refuse to do that, report them to Trading Standards.