1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky+ and the rain

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by lyngarth, Aug 22, 2005.

1. lyngarth

lyngarth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    I have sky+ up and running which 90% of the time is fine, apart from when it rains, and I lose 50% of the channels, the main ones i.e. BBC ITV CH4 CH5 are ok but all of the sport, movies and a good few others just stop working (no signal)

Now the rain does not have to be hard at all in fact even if we get heavy drizzle we lose some programmes.

So is this common or do we have a problem with the dish?? Is there a way to check anything?? Did try to talk to sky and was told don’t know why but will cost to send someone out just to look.

So any help on this matter would be great.

Many thanks

Lyngarth

2. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    There's a fault. It could be leaves in the way, poor dish alignment, faulty LNB, faulty cable or water ingress into LNB or cable. It could even be a faulty Digibox.
    See http://sam-radford.me.uk/nosignal.htm

3. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    You have a poor quality signal. Possible causes: Bad dish alignment, fault in LNB(s), fault in cabling, fault in receiver.

You can test signal strength by pressing 'Services' then '4' then '6' on the remote. You should see two sets of bars, one for each of the two LNBs that the Sky+ box uses showing 'signal strength' and 'signal quality'. If they are _both_ low in 'signal quality', then chances are that the entire dish is badly aligned.

If the input 1 is low but not the other, or vice versa, then the fault lies in the LNB, cable or possibly receiver section in the box.

It's normal for the signal to break up in _really_ heavy rain (ie Thunderstorm conditions) but even regular heavy rain should not be a problem.

Gav

4. lyngarth

lyngarth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi thanks for the help, I have just looked at the signal strenght as you said and this is what I can see...
    Input 1 sig strenght 60% ish
    Input 1 sig Quality 40% ish

Input 2 Sig strenght 75-80% ish
    Input 2 sig quality 35-40% ish

but the sig strenght on input 2 keeps moving all the time, some times up to 90%

So not sure if this is good reading or not??

Lyngarth

5. lyngarth

lyngarth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Was just looking at you page, the bit about making sure you have the lastest epg and os , but not to sure about mine...

I have an Amstrad A20A80A

os 1.31A08

EPG Sky+ 1.28.d

Can anyone tell me if this is up todate or not??

Many thanks

Lyngarth

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Rain does attenuate signals from the satellite, but rain can also get into where the cable plugs into the dish, with similar results. Your best bet would be to call in a local aerial contractor - chances are that he could fix it cheaper than Sky could.

7. booges

booges

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This might sound a little simple, but if you can get to the LNB ( the plastic thing pointing back at the dish) and re apply the electrical tape. I had the same problem and a techie mate suggested I try that.. Worked a treat..

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    PVC electrical tape won't keep out the rain for more than 3 months. You need to use self-amalgamating tape with a layer of PVC tape over the top, to stop the sunlight making it brittle.

9. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286

Signal strength isn't really that important - seems to be a function of the particular LNB and not the actual signal. Signal quality on the other hand is directly related to the signal you are receiving.

Both LNBs are reading very low (from experience, 40% is extremely marginal) so my guess is that you have a badly aligned dish. I'd get the dish looked at, if your installation was done through Sky then call them and complain.

Gav

10. lyngarth

lyngarth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thank for the help, dish was put up by sky so will give them a call and ask them to pop out and sort it out, and hopefully that might sort out the wet weather problem as well.

Will let you know how it goes.

Lyngarth

11. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well we had rain this morning and I lost signal on both LNB inputs according to my Sky+... Wouldn't have said it was particularly heavy rain either - we've had far worse and not had much problem with the signal (a bit of break-up which gives rise to various amounts of annoyance depending on how long it persists for...)

12. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ever since I had Sky originally installed (2000) the picture would break up badly on anything more than the lightest rain. The Sky operators told me that it was bad weather that caused it, and nothing could be done. But we are talking small shower, not a monsoon. So much for digital I thought.

Anyways, since getting Sky+ I don't get the same problem. It's on the original cable, and the old Sky box is upstairs on a new cable. So my guess is it wasn't aligned properly or the LNB/ connections were naff. Although it should be noted that the signal quality/ strength indicators are pretty much the same as they always were; about 60% (ish).

Cheers