Sky + and the dreaded phone connection

R

rnjones

I am still thinking about getting a Sky + box. Hoping Sky will bin the £10 charge:devil: .

Right now I have a Panasonic Sky box which is over a year old and is not connected to the phone line, because it is the only thing that isnt cabled to my AV stand.

I am not at all interested in interactive services on TV because I have a work provided ADSL. This means dial up modems are like ..er.. not something I ever want to experience again.

So if I dont connect the Sky+ to the phone line, will I miss out on any features? I know Tivo uses it to download program info, but not sure about Sky+

Anyone know?

Finally if they put an Ethernet port on the box and allowed interactivity over the Internet I would be out to buy one right now.
Rog

The phone connection is required as part of the SKY+ subscription. The contract agreement allows SKY to collect viewing data and I assume that is why they stipulate an active phone connection.

SKY+ is just like anyother digibox in other respects, EPG data is sent via satellite and PPV ordering via the remote is processed through the phone line.

Had mine 3 months and its never been near a phone connection. No-one seems to notice or care.

Chip.

Thanks very much. Thats what I thought. Dont care about PPV. If I want to see a film would prefer to rent or buy the DVD. However as Sky + has Dolby Digital now this may change. Specially if I can use Sky+ to record it and I watch it when I want.

Hmm.

Cheers Rog

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom