Sky+ and the £10 sub

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by tonyc, Jul 26, 2001.

1. tonyc

tonyc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There seems to be a lot of rubbish being talked about on bulliten boards and newsgroups concerning Sky Plus. Most people are complaining about the £10/month subscription for using the service. While it is perhaps more than I would like, I am willing to pay for what promises to be an innovative and exciting product. The justification for the £10 sub seems to be the need to develop the software for the system further. A laudable aim in my opinion. Software development is not cheap and if we as consumers want the product to develop then we need to give Sky reason to do so.

This brings me (finally :p ) to my point. Those of us who choose to subscribe to the service would like to be able to influence the decisions about how the software (that we're paying for) is developed. I would suggest that HCC (or one of it's sister publications) should take up the gauntlet and act as a conduit for subscribers into Sky's developments.

For example, much has been said about the lack of Tivo style "suggestions" on the box. I for one do not really see them as important. What would be useful to me would be:

1. The ability to record radio programmes.
    2. To see a full days lisiting for a single channel (newspaper style) on the screen.
    3. For more TV guide information to be visible when widescreen settings have been enabled.
    4. A manual timer for occasions when you don't want to record and entire program, or you want to record an entire evening (perhaps a theme night on BBC2) including the continuity.

etc. etc.

I'm sure other people will have lots to add to this list.

[ 26-07-2001: Message edited by: tonyc ]

2. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Well, when they have finished developing it then everyone else will be very grateful you paid for it. :D
    The price of early adoption.

And whilst it might be true the sub funds developement (which seems reasonable), I dont think Sky have said this officially, so getting them to accept anyones input might be hard, as it will place undue pressure on them to actually deliver something.
    It would be much more in their interest to take your money under some other pretence (i.e. it is to access to PTR, as they have said) and develop and release whatever software they see fit, or are able to do, and not have to bow to any outside influence.

Given the problems they have had so far with software development they would have to be mad to tie payment to software delivery. Imagine the complaints that it might bring that would now be directly tied to a payment that people would demand to be refunded if they could show Sky had failed to deliver.

3. tonyc

tonyc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't remember where I read that they were linking sub payment to future software development, but there is an article on this very website which states that they have some twenty ideas of their own. It would seem to be in our favour, would it not, to try and get some official word from Sky that links the two together, and as I proposed give users some real input into what happens to the box.
    :)

4. kennydies

kennydies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am quite simple in my wants. All I want from Satelite is Dolby Digital broadcasts and a good picture. I am capable of using a video to record programs and can look at a paper for a TV guide. £10 a month does seem a bit unressonable just to save 5 minutes of my time.