1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky + and Surround Sound

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Matty7, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Matty7

Matty7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Apologies if I am covering any old ground as I think there have been posts similar to this about hooking up Sky + to their home cinema system (mine’s a Panasonic SC-HT530) but I am very very new to this. In fact I don’t really understand the optical, co-axial stuff that has been mentioned on this subject before now, and wondered if someone could help from scratch really.

So, my first question I suppose is, does anyone know where I could find a general idiots guide to inputs and outputs on devices like this (I have also just got a new LCD TV, a Samsung LE32R41B) and what all the connections at the back of these things are for?

Secondly, I have connected my sky + to the TV with a scart lead and the sky + to the home cinema system with a scart lead as well. The home cinema system is connected to the TV with a video cable that was supplied. Now, I can watch sky + channels on the TV with the sound turned right down on the TV and listen to the audio through the home cinema system but I only get it though the front 2 speakers and the subwoofer (not the central speaker and the 2 rear speakers). Is this the best way to set the system up (I suspect not!) and how can I get sky + (particularly movies and the football) in surround sound?

Thirdly, I have played and watched DVDs on my new toys and it is absolutely brilliant in surround sound, however when I play music CDs on the home cinema system they too only come out of the front 2 speakers and subwoofer (like sky +). Is this normal or can I get music CDs to play in surround sound as well?

I would really appreciate any guidance and sorry if I have covered any old ground.

Cheers
    Matt

2. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    OK i'll try and help by exlaining how i have my Sky (not +) and Denon DHT-550SD connected up to my Panasonic 28" CRT.
    I have the sky box and DVD player each connected to the TV via a scart cable (using RGB). I then have 2 phono leads (red and white) coming from the TV's audio output to the amps audio input. I also have an optical cable from my DVD player to the amp's optical in (so its in Dolby 5.1, DTS etc). My TV's speakers are turned OFF in the TV's menu as i dont want to use them.
    With this setup it enables me to watch Sky on my TV and change channels AND the volume using just my Sky remote (the Sky remote changes the TV's volume but this is fed to the amp via the phono leads (audio output remember) and out through the 5.1 speakers). For TV and Sky the amp is set to 'TV' mode and the affect is set as 5 channel stereo (i get the same audio from all 5 speakers but just bass from the sub obviously)...you could use Pro Logic instead but i prefer 5 channel. This setup wont give you 5.1 in Sky Movies (i dont subscribe to Movies but i dont have an optical out on my normal sky box either!) but if you connected an optical cable from your Sky+ box to the amp's optical in then change the amp to the right mode to use this optical in you should get 5.1 in Movies (dont think anything else uses 5.1).
    When i want to watch a DVD i change the amp's mode to DVD (so its using the optical in connection from the DVD player for DD5.1, DTS etc) and thus have to alter the sound via the amp's volume control (the audio is going direct from the DVD player to the amp via the optical lead so the TV wont control it only the amp volume will).

Maybe your DVD player has component connections and so has your TV? This would be better than using RGB Scart.

Dont know if the above helps/hinders but i'm happy with my setup! :) Anymore questions?! :D

3. robbierroy

robbierroy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Matt
    I just set up a new home cinema system last night and like you, I too am new at this. I too was only getting sound from the fronts and sub. Remember that you should have a button on your home cinema system to shane the surround sound mode. Mine, for example, changes from auto surround through the dolby variations to all channel stereo.
    Try looking for that button!
    Robbierroy

4. Matty7

Matty7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Stu and Robbierroy, I'll get some cables today and try again. I'll let you know.
    Cheers
    Matt

5. grosem

grosem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...only I'm much worse. A complete novice & complete electro-numpty! So keep it simple.

I set up my Sony DAVDZ100 to my Sharp 32 inch TV last night. That TV set-up is confusing at the bext of times, so it did not help.

Anyway, the instructions were followed to the letter. All I have is my speakers set up as suggested in the manual & the DVD (amp) is connected to the TV via a scart. The manual suggests that this is all I need to get surround through the TV, as well as DVDs. I have 3 scarts in the TV, only one on the DVD (amp). Not sure if I've plugged it in the right one on the telly?

The DVD works fine. Sound is great etc, but TV is just via the TV speakers & CD is just front 2, Sub & centre.

I don't want the Odeon Leicester Square. Just to get my Sky+ and CDs through all my speakers. Can this be done?

6. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I presume your switching the amp mode to DVD or TV (or whatever it is on the DAVDZ100)? And what mode (Pro Logic, 5 channel stereo etc) are u set to when in 'TV' mode?
    If you read my setup i have a pair of RCA plugs from the TV audio o/p to the back of my amp, my amp is set to TV and 5 channel and i get audio from all the speakers like this on both aerial and Sky. I have turned my TV speakers off in the TV's menu.

7. Ghostie2005

Ghostie2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate my uncle just bought the same system and having the same problems playing dvd and cd s works but sky plus will only run out of two speaker also been on to panasonic waited 2 weeks for reply only just got something off them to comfirm my model so hoping getting info sometime this weekend of the start of next week if you have any new info yourself please email me at spammailaddresss@aol.com or put it in the post

8. Obskure

Obskure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Guys,
    My mate has the panasonic ht-1000. I connected it up to his 52" crt rear pro tv. DVD is through component. The bad news is that the Phono plugs from your sky box go into the dvd head unit and even though it's supposed to dolby pro-logic 11 the sound comes from the front only. the rear speakers are not utilised. The pro-logic only seems to be for dvd's encoded with 2 channel stereo or mono. I triede everything for him but no go. If I remember correctly there is no option for 5 channel stereo.

9. Ghostie2005

Ghostie2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After going to my local currys and the guy selling us a cable with input and output switch on it i worked out how to get my paransonic SCHT530 enabled for full suround sound with sky by just using a regular scart no need for the special lead

Just turn on the suround sound so its got the sky on and the 2 speakers runnung then hold down SHIFT and pressing the Super Suround button till it changes to PARTY on the DVD display and all the speakers should work

10. Matty7

Matty7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ghostie, that's it! Brilliant thank you, now got Sky and CDs playing in glorious surround sound!
    Matt