1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky and Sony STB

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by dmack233, Sep 7, 2004.

1. dmack233

dmack233
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

Im ordering sky soon and i want to take advantage of the optical port on the back of my dvd player. Only problem is that some sky boxes dont have the port. Ive read that Sky+ boxes have it but i dont really want to pay the £40 a month subscription although i would be fine with paying £200 for the box etc. However i did also read that Sony Stb (vtx d800u) has an optical port as well and never thought about trying this before but is it possible to get a sky dish hooked up and instead of plugging into the sky digi box plug it into the sony stb and let it decode it for you and use the optical line on it? Is it possible or will it not be since you need a sky card slot? Any ideas. Im willing buy a digi box with an optical port, doesnt matter which as long as its good, its just that the sound is very important to me, ill be using the music channels a lot but i always want the sky channels (£30 package) the free view channels arent the channels i want

any advice would be great, thanks :)

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I'm lost:)

First the optical output on the DVD player needs to be fed into a amplifier or television not a SKY digibox, a SKY digibox has no audio amplification nor speaker terminals:)

The long ceased production SONY SKY digiboxes have an optical output (no DD5.1) and that audio can be fed to a suitable amp bypassing the DAC in the digibox and using the higher quality components in the amp.

Only a SKY digibox and suitable smartcard can be used to watch SKY encrypted channels, nothing else anywhere will work.

Worth nothing that as a new subscriber you can get SKY+ pretty darn cheap at the mo and as long as you have at least two Premium channels (from the sports or movie pachages) then the additional £10 SKY+ sub is waived.
    Even more important is that the optical output on the SKY+ works even if you don't subscribe to the SKY+ service and only use SKY+ as a normal SKY digibox.

3. dmack233

dmack233
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all the info starburst :) I didnt know about sky+ 2 premium channels deal. I think i can get it then on the 34.99 package then. Im not really sure what the deal is with the optical. It was a customer advisor in currys that told me about it so i asked on this forum:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149633

I would use a component lead to the tv and an optical for sound going from sky to the dvd player which might do the the amplifying itself? Im not sure ive never had a chance to use one before but if i get sky+ then i can experiment a bit i guess :)

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Ah, so it's a SONY Home Cinema system with an integrated DVD player, that makes more sense now:)