Sky+ and Sky HD in a flat?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Yolmol, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Yolmol

Yolmol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!

After the brilliant response I received in my last post I thought I would tap into the wealth of knowledge here again!!

I will shortly be moving into a converted church, there is around 5 or 6 flats and a sky dish has already been installed. I'm obviously after sky+ and/or skyHD and I read earlier on another forum that you can't get Sky+ if on a communal dish and installation charges are higher? Is this true?

Any help would be appreciated! (Oh and this all started from girlfriend thinking she saw something in the paper saying sky is cheaper if you live in a flat?)

2. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    It all depends on how many satellite feeds you have got into the flat. Did you count them when you looked round it?

Most builders now should (note should, not do) fit at least two satellite inputs to at least one room, which would allow you to make full use of Sky+ functionality, but a lot still don't.

If you haven't got two inputs, then you either won't be able to use Sky+ to the best of its ability (can't record two channels simultaneously, can't record one channel while watching another) or you will have to source a second input from somewhere else - either fit your own dish (and you'll have to fit it, Sky won't) or see whether you can blag an input from one of your neighbours who isn't utilising satellite for digital TV.

The owners of the flats often charge for use of the satellite feed(s) that they have supplied, and then you will still have to pay Sky for Sky TV. So where your girlfriend got it in her head that it will be cheaper in a flat I have no idea. It certainly won't be cheaper - but it could easily be much more expensive.

3. Yolmol

Yolmol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah I suppose there is not point in worrying about it now then until I know, I didn't manage to look at how many cables were coming in but being the cynic that I am, in seeing that there was only a bog standard digital box in there I am guessing it only had the one cable. Nothing was mentioned about rent on the sky dish and I think given the communal aspect there its unlikely.

There is only 5 flats I think, possibly 6, of those that have sky I don't know. Can I get a sparky or aerial company to run a second cable from the dish (if they can get access) or does that not work?

Also, with only the one cable - can you get HD?

4. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    It's unlikely that you will be able to get a second feed from the satellite dish to your flat through an independent installer - as the dish isn't owned by you, it is owned by the owner of the apartment building. Approach the landlord - they may be able to advise you what to do next. But it's unlikely - they are usually pretty dim when it comes to this kind of thing.

HD works fine with only a single cable - it is only the Plus part of the Sky+ HD box which struggles with only a single input. The high definition aspect of it couldn't care less how many cables you have running to the dish - as plenty of single tuner Freesat HD users can testify.