sky and setanta

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by danielkarmy, Feb 1, 2009.

1. danielkarmy

danielkarmy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Apolgies for taking this back to basics, but how can i go about getting the full setanta package through an old satellite box (i dont own this box yet)?

To clarify:

1. I have a satellite dish connection on my flat which other residents use.

2. I have no satellite box- which one should i buy second hand? I have never owned on before.

3. What satellite card do i need and where do i get it?

4. Do i need to contact sky at any point?

5. will setanta send me the card for the sky box?

I have thought of just getting setanta 1 through my freeview tv CAM slot but want setanta Golf which as far as i understand doesnt come through freeview and setanta 1 barely has any live golf on. I am therefore looking in to this satellite box idea.

Thanks for your help in advance

Dan

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  2. kbj242

kbj242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Daniel - firstly - be wary of buying a second hand Sky box. You can get a brand new one at Tescos for £75 in the 'pay once watch forever' deal. I wouldn't pay £30-£40 quid for a used one, knowing a brand new one (with its 1 year warrnty) is only £75.....

Also - if you buy a seconf hand box, you'll need to call Sky to get a "Freesat from Sky" viewing card - this is apprx £20 as a one-off fee (however - you'll get one included in the Tesco offer...making that deal even better IMHO)

Once the card is in the box and Sky have paired-it for you (a tech thing that Sky do - pairing the card to the box) over the phone, you then need to contact Setanta - and sign up and get switched on (be aware that on-line sign-ups some times have better deals atached to them....)

Sky and Setanta are totally different companies. Setanta will need your Sky viewing card number - that's it. Best a luck

3. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995