1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ and PVR's

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Maxheadroom, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Maxheadroom

Maxheadroom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (in posted this in the PVR section but this forum seems more UK based)

Could someone just clarify something for me please?

When Sky launch High Def they'll be using HDCP encryption, so you'll need a HDCP tv to play High Def Sky on - Fair enough.

But what about PVR's? As far as I know none of them (Tivo, Windows MCE or home grown PVR's like my SageTV box) have or plan to have HDCP.

Sure the new Sky boxes will probably be able to output a downgraded composite or RGB signal that you could pipe into the PVR but that defeats the whole purpose of going High Def.

So if I want to use a PVR with my Sky HD I've got a choice of Sky+ or err.. Sky+? is that right?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The first gen STB will allow HD via component (SKY only guarantee their own channels will use this), HDMI can still be used and third party channels can also use HDCP if they want.

The only product SKY has mentioned is the SKY+ HD.
    Makes a lot of sense since there is no practical way to record HD on an offboard recorder without sacrificing the very point of HD namely the picture quality.

Nothing has been confirmed but it's likely there will be in addition to conponent further outputs in the shape of RGB scart, s-video and probably RF for TVlink use.

I don't belive there is a UK sold DVR/PVR that can record in HD so the best you could hope for is either the SD output of the SKY+ HD either from an original SD broadcast or downconverted (internally) output.