1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY+ and Prologic sound

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by cutes6, Oct 8, 2001.

1. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hello
    Ihave just got the new sky+ box having been a sky customer for years.

I noticed that sound is only comming out of FL and FR speakers through my Sony amp even though its on DPL setting.I have tried the scart output from sky box and also the L+R phono output.I have tried large or small setting for the speakers but no difference.

With my old box everything was fine.I have also checked that the box is set to stereo in the menu and I have even tried the optical out.

I must have missed something realy simple and I am embarrassed that I can't work out whats wrong

I hope someone can put me out of my misery and give me some clues please.

One final thing as my old box failed an engineer connected the new sky+ box up to the original lnb and registered my old card to the new box but he couldnt do the whole setup ie quad lnb and dual cable until wednesday could this have anything to do with it ?

Any replies with help would be appreciated

:rolleyes:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    It sounds like you have it all setup correctly. ATM I'm using the phono sockets connected to my amp and the SKY+ output set to stereo and the optical output to normal.

Try removing the phonos from the digibox and connecting them to another prologic source, that should at least tell you if your amp is set up correctly.

I used SKY+ for a couple of days before it was connected to a quad LNB, didn't make any difference to the basic functions.
    You are of course watching programs with a prologic/surround soundtrack? Daft question but needed to be asked :)

3. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Starburst
    thanks for that, I did try several channels particularly movies but no difference.

Going back to basics I know but I am sure my previous box gave me surround sound all the time.With all the new formats out now I get confused but didnt DPL give you surround sound from a 2 channel stereo source ?

Your point about the amp is worth looking at I have a denon 3802 comming soon but I hope it's not knackered as I wanted to sell it to recoupe some money - I will play around with it tonight,thanks Starburst

4. Superslug

Superslug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Check that your associated scart lead isn't
    shorting L to R on your STB..Sounds like
    you're listening to mono sound - hence no
    surround effect..
    Good luck
    S

5. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Starburst

Just to update you on where I am with this,I went home that night and everything was fine and then it went off again ? I am beginning to think its the amp however since the other night everything has been ok !

With regard to the scart lead are you saying that although I am not using the lead for sound out (I'm using the phono outs) that this lead could be causing the problem because of a short or something?

Mike

6. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Superslug

Just to update you on where I am with this,I went home that night and everything was fine and then it went off again ? I am beginning to think its the amp however since the other night everything has been ok !

With regard to the scart lead are you saying that although I am not using the lead for sound out (I'm using the phono outs) that this lead could be causing the problem because of a short or something?

Mike

7. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I imagine this has got to be an amp problem, if you were only receiving a mono signal most of the sound would be out of centre speaker, not the L&R. Pro-logic is just not kicking in and, it has to be said, I know of no auto-detect mechanism that can determine if a signal is stereo or Pro-logic (being as they are both from a stereo feed).

8. Superslug

Superslug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, sounds like the amp....
    Borrow somebody else's machine.
    Good luck
    S