1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ and plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Orlando, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    A question to anyone who is using Sky+ with their plasma.
    I currently have Sky+ and use the pause live TV function quite a lot with my CRT, and sometimes leave it paused for up to 20mins or so while I make cup of tea etc.
    I get delivery of my PE30 soon and am now a bit worried I won't be able to do the same because of the danger of screen burn.
    I'm I worrying unnecessarily? Do other users with this setup use pause with no ill effects? I mean this function is a big part of the sky+ appeal for me.

2. spanky2k

spanky2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    You really want to avoid leaving a static image on a plasma screen for any long period of time. The best thing for you to do would be to turn off the plasma if your off to do something or if you don't want to keep powering it up and down, maybe set it to an unused AV input ie something that's simply black.
    Having a paused image will have less of an effect than the Sky logo will do, as even if you pause images for 20 minutes a go, the next time you pause it it will have a different image so will be 'attacking' different parts of the screen. The logo on the otherhand will remain in the same position all the time, paused or not, potentially causing the most damage over time.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You've actually got one of the more bomb proof plasmas there, I have never seen a burnt Panasonic. 20 minutes, I would avoid whilst 'running in', but after a few weeks of normal use I think I wouldn't be stressed by it. Logos and red dots are the enemy, keep pressing the backup button, and try not to watch the same bright logo'd channel all day every day, or you might prove me wrong.

4. EpsomJames

EpsomJames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    A friend has screen burn on his panasonic 5 series, bands top and bottom from playing too many films in cinema mode.

Instead of pausing you could just use the rewind feature with SKY+ when you return to the room?

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I know this is SKY we are talking about but wouldn't it make some sense since they now sell/promote SKY+ and Plasma that they would consider potential screen burn issues with the SKY+ Live Pause image and make it optional or translucent.

6. spanky2k

spanky2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I know, its absoutely ridiculous. Check www.logofreetv.org for more info on the whole logos causing plasma screen damage issue and how Sky ignores it. The technology's there to be able to have logos as a floating logo, as in not part of the signal itself but as part of the overlay thingies, like the red button on Sky (or is it Channel 4??) so that you could simply push 'Back Up' when you've chosen a channel and it gets removed. Why they don't do this, I don't know. Or even a £2 a month extra option to get rid of logos completely. They could MAKE money out of it!! Just do it!!