1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ and PC DVD recording

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Nasher79, Oct 27, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Nasher79

Nasher79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Everyone.

I’ve been reading through lots of threads, but not too much clearer on my question.

What I hope to achieve is Sky+ connected up to my TV and sound system as normal, but also I would like to have it connected to my pc so as to be able to transfer and burn stored programmes to DVD.

I have been reading about PVR cards and such equipment but am now confused as to what I need and how it all might plug together.

Would I also be able to perform the 'Pause, Rewind' actions on my pc if this can be done?

Sorry if this sounds vague but I really am stuck

Cheers,
    Liam

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky has a monopoly when it comes to their receivers. You can only get a set top box to receive sky, the satellite PC cards will pick up the FTA (Free To Air) channels (BBC channels and a load of other channels, mainly rubbish!) but they won't pick up the FTV (Free to View) channels. For these you need a viewing card.

The only way you can get recordings from the Sky+ is by using a video capture card in the PC. Fortunately the Sky+ comes with a seperate s-video output as well as the TV scart socket so you can indeed connect it to both the TV and the PC at the same time.

I'm not sure why you would want pause/rewind on the PC when you have it on the Sky+ but capture cards aren't usually designed to do this (AFAIK)

Dave

3. Nasher79

Nasher79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Dave, much appreciated.