Sky+ and new customers

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by dpluxor, Feb 3, 2005.

1. dpluxor

dpluxor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I know there's been lots of talk about this ongoing subject over the last two years or more and I dont want to go over too much of the old ground but one thing I cannot understand is this.

I, like many, asked if I could cancel my contract and get my wife to sign up and become a NEW CUSTOMER, after all their website states two words for each type of contract, NEW CUSTOMERS, or EXISTING CUSTOMERS.
    They gave me the speech about them checking there systems and finding your address & bank account etc. because its based on your address.

When then, doesnt their website say NEW ADDRESSES and EXISTING ADDRESSES, arent they in breach of some kind of trading standards rules to say one thing and mean another like that. An address cannot be a customer, the defintion of customer is 'someone who pays for goods or services'. It is not and cannott be 'something' like a house. I did hear that the t&c someone states 'one contract per person per household' which is fine, I cancel my contract and my wife becomes a NEW CUSTOMER cos she is a 'someone' who has never dealt with sky before ???

David

2. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    The terms and conditions of any contract with Sky also says :

"Orders are accepted at Our sole discretion and We maintain the right to decline orders without giving an explanation"

I understand that this can be viewed as a major cop out, but as has been pointed out in similar threads. Companies all over the world make better offers to new customers, it is a sure fire way of increasing their customer base. Many current users got free installation/cheap box, when thet first joined up. Should they get another deal?

One point that does make this different, is in other situations, you quite often have more competition, where as Sky are the only company offering a product like Sky+ (I think NTL are later this year). So you can't exactly shop around.

3. dpluxor

dpluxor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I heard that also from somewhere else, I too think this clause is an unprofessional way of getting out of loopholes caused by a sloppy legal team. They have forgotten to cross their I's and dot all their T's and so they just put this in 'just in case'

I personally am not arguing about the price difference, it doesnt bother me, but if they want to call people NEW CUSTOMERS then there should be no conditions.

David