1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ and nagging doubts

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Faust, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I have often considered getting Sky+ but have been put off by one or two nagging doubts, perhaps someone might be able to answer a couple of them. Obviously the main gripe which everyone is stuck with is the outrageous £10 monthly fee. However, a greater concern for me is the hardware. I have every confidence in most things made by Panasonic or Sony (built on years of trouble free experience). I have however no real knowledge of Pace or its products which concerns me. How reliable are the Sky+ boxes, or are there plenty of horror stories? The thought that Amstrad might get the contract for making the Sky+ box fills me with even greater dread. Do Sky have to fit Sky+ or can you ask your local independant, if so, is it more costly if you do i.e. special offers etc. Finally, is Sky+ able to do chasing playback as per my DMR E30 or is it not quite as clever as that. I find I use this very useful facility a great deal. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I've owned 2 PACE analogue videocrypt receivers and a PACE 2200 digibox and SKY+.
    Not problems with them hardware wise and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the brand.
    There does seem to be a problem with over heating/ventilation which I think is the root cause of many of the failures reported in these forums and newsgroups.

You can buy SKY+ yourself but it may not come complete with the Quad LNB so if you had an independent install it then you would have to source that as well on top of the premium price for a premium install. If you order from SKY then they supply the LNB either with SKY+ or within the installation price.

Chasing playback, if you mean can it start recording a program and you can start playback whilst the rest of the program continues to be recorded then yes.

3. kblue

kblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my sky+ to self-install, and the quad LNB comes in the box.

No problems with the device at all yet - have not plugged in my VCR for a year now!!

4. Fouldsie

Fouldsie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought Sky+ from Dixons and a local installer installed it with no problems. That was about 18 months ago and had no problems at all.

Being able to pause live tv and watch a program that is recording a few minutes after it has started is fantastic. Never use a VCR anymore.

5. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2 boxes and a Sky + ive not had any problems since day 1 .

I think a lot of the overheating problems are when a bigger HD is fitted

6. plasmattack

plasmattack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about that. I've had two failures in two months: both boxes had the standard HD and were still always surprisingly hot (more so than my A/V amp). Sky+ boxes evidently run considerably hotter than any other piece of A/V or audio equipment I've ever owned.

7. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky+ is fantastic. I have never been so happy with a peice of AV

You can pay 15p/m and have your old box relocated, great value when you consider this is 12p/m without sky+

I know in reality it isn't, but in comparison it is

8. danzor

danzor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a Pace Sky+ box since day one with no hardware problems.

9. plasmattack

plasmattack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As opposed to some other day? ;)

Just how long ago was day one?

10. danzor

danzor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Day one being when the Sky + first became available. I have to say the unit does run very hot and there are the occasional well documented gliches

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

September 1st 2001, it was a saturday and the installer refused to climb a ladder to work on the dish another SKY installer fitted two years before which was in the same place my original analogue dish had been fitted years before.
    So I had to wait until the 5th to get mine installed :)

12. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks for all the info so far everyone. On the picture quality side of things this is not an issue as my Panasonic DMR E30 provides picture quality the equal of Sky+. The reliability issue really does give me cause for concern though. Having looked and posted on other forums the percentage of customers on their second or third box - due to box failures, is quite worrying. If only Panasonic were producing the Sky+ boxes I would be banging on the installers door at midnight demanding an immediate install. However, all these broken Pace boxes does little to inspire me with confidence. I don't mind paying for something of quality, however, nothing irks me more than shoddy electrical goods.

:(

13. Just_Dabbling

Just_Dabbling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only thing with picture quality your not gonna get anyone else but Sky+ is direct storage of the MPEG data.

This causes the picture to be identical, and I don't care what anyone says, you just cannot beat that !

14. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    What you say may well be true. However, all I would say is that for all intents and purposes and certainly for every day viewing it's hard to see any difference, even when inches away from the screen, so for me it's just fine. I don't care that much anyway, so long as the programme has been recorded I'm happy. I can sit and watch video tapes ten or more years old without caring a fig about the quality - just so long as I can see movement.