Sky and LumagenHDP

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Tir, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Tir

Tir
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

I am having a bit of trouble with sky over RGBs into the Lumagen. I am getting interference on various channels. Thinking that it was a problem with the sky equipment I called out an engineer. As far as he can tell there is nothing wrong with the the sky equipment.

I have since discovered I can watch sky on input 5 with no interference at all. I then did a search on the forums and followed the advice on this thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234521

I get the same problem using input 4 and again I get no problem when watching sky via input 6.

I am thinking that there is possibly either a problem with the scart to RGBs cable or some problem with the settings I have on the Lumagen.

I would very much appreciate some advice on this one.

TIA

Tir

2. shane515

shane515

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Tir

Are you having this problem when viewing ALL Sky channels or just the odd channel, when I had the problem you mentioned in your post it a banding/colour problem on ALL Sky channels on certain Inputs but change the Input and it cleared!

Shane

3. Tir

Tir
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Shane,

I don't think it effects all Sky channels as far as I can tell. It seems to effect some channels worse than others. Sky sports 1 for example is unwatchable where as BBC 1 stutters quite badly on either input 3 or 4. This led me to think that the problem was something to do with Sky. However if I switch to input 5 or 6 the sky on all channels is perfect.

I also have multi-room installed so I switched boxes over incase it was a fault with box but I get the same problem on the other box when its connected to lumagen.

As I said I am pretty sure that its not a problem with Sky. The engineer that called out was very thorough he even moved the dish to be sure that trees to the front of house weren't effecting the signal. The sky signal in the other room is connected via rgb scart direct to TV and is perfect.

I am very confused as to why the problem would not effect all channels and as to why it varies in intensity on those that obviously have a problem.

Tir

4. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Methinks you need to speak to Gordon or Liam or Joe T as I have never had such issues wiv my Sky, mate. :confused:

Regards

Dil

5. czytt

czytt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I don't mean this to sound trite (and I don't know the rest of your setup), but if you get perfect Sky on input 6, why not watch it on input 6? You may, of course, be concerned about faults with the Lumagen box, and that's very understandable.

Just for the record, I get no issues with Sky through my Lumagen (apart from a little FRC judder when I use native res on my plasma).

Jerry

6. Tir

Tir
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem mate any help and advice is appreciated.

If I understand things correctly (there is a good chance I haven't) the best method of connecting the Sky box to the LumagenHDP is usually via a scart to 4 rca cable for RGBcvs. The cables are then connected to inputs 3 and 5 and I then set input 3 on the Lumagen to scart in the menu. The same can be done using inputs 4 and 6 but I think rather than a scart option in the menu on input 4 I chose RGBs.

What I naturally assumed is that when you choose to watch Sky that you done so on either input 3 or 4 as it would give the best quality rather than through 5 or 6. Of course I could be completely wrong in this assumption :confused:

As it stands when viewing Sky on input 3 or 4 there is what I would call intermitent interference (green horizontal lines) on many of the channels but perhaps as you say this might be normal and I should actually be watching sky through input 5 or 6 (this is what I am currently doing).

I just don't don't know for sure.

The Lumagen is a complicated piece of kit and I don't know my way round it so I am hoping that the more experienced users etc. on here can keep me right and help me learn as I go.

Tir

7. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +708
    I use input 3 on my Lumagen DVI and that's coming from an RGB scart from a Sky+ box. And it does connect to the three RGB phonos of input three, plus a fouth phono to pick up the composite's sync. But for this to work you need a specific cable meant for this purpose. A standard scart to phono lead is unlikey to be wired correctly. Or at least that's my undersanding. I got the lead with the Lumagen when I told the dealer how I intended to use it.

Regards

Mark

8. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Tir, it sounds like you do not have the correct type of cable, you need a SCART to RGBs cable.

If you do not have a SCART to RGBs cable connected to either Input 3/5 or Input 4/6 then you will see mild image juddering on some channels to a completely corrupted image on others. Basically, more moving content in the picture will result in increased levels of corruption.

I don't remember the details exactly, but early Lumagen models had a filter missing which meant SCART to RGBs didn't work properly even if you did have the correct cable. However, this can be resolved by contacting your Lumagen dealer with your serial number. They can confirm if you have an affected model and send you an adapter which will correct the problem.

9. Tir

Tir
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark and Remix,

Sorry I perhaps didn't describe the cable correctly it is a Van Damme Scart to 4RCA (RGB and composite) cable supplied by Joe at the Media Factory. I take it is the correct type?

Remix has described the problem perfectly it certainly does appear to be worse on channels with a lot of movement.

I bought the unit ex-demo so it looks like I will have to fire off a quick e-mail to the dealer and see what he says.

Thanks,

Tir

10. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Well, that certainly sounds like the correct cable, so maybe you do have some sort of problem with the unit itself.

Nearest I've had to a problem with my unit is it sometimes doesn't come up in colour using S-Video from a Playstation 2. A quick pulling of the power lead from the Lumagen and a powering back up fixes it. Happens very, very rarely though. I think twice in all the time I've had it.

Regards

Mark

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    Sorry been ill then away for a few days. Sounds like you need a sync filter for the composite part of the signal to input 5. Contact your dealer.

Gordon

12. Tir

Tir
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lo again folks,

Received the sync filter today. Thanks goes to Ken at Ivojo and Gordon for sorting this.

I assume it is connected to composite on input 5? Is there some sort of setting change to accompany it? As at the moment I am getting a 'No Signal on Input 3' message when I use it?

Thanks,

Tir

13. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    You should set input 3 to SCART and then attach the filter to input5. Make sure the source is set to output RGBSCART. It should then work...unless the filter has been damaged somehow. Look at INput 5 and see if there is any image there to check signal continuity

Gordon

14. Tir

Tir
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gordon,

I take it by source you mean the Sky digibox it is set to output RGB over scart. I have input 3 on the Lumagen set to scart as per your instruction but I am getting a 'No signal on input 3' message. Input 5 is showing no image either although does not report the no signal message.

Tir

15. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    Bugger!

Can you remove the sync filter and stick it in to the composite and check if you get a picture on IN5?

p.s. MAKE SURE THE POWER SUPPLY IS REMOVED FROM THE SCALER BEFORE PLUGGING OR UNPLUGGING ANY CABLES.

If you get a picture then it seems the sync filter is bust...which is a royal pita. The good news is that the parts that help it up were ordered in quantity so I have caps and resistor to build another. Bad news is I'm going to have to find time to do it n hotel rooms on my travels for next 14days......

So let me know results of next test!

Gordon

16. Tir

Tir
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it you mean remove the filter altogether and connect as usual using the sync on composite? I do get an image on input 5 if I do this. I have been watching sky this way as past while.

I always do.

I can hold on there is no real mad rush to be honest. I have only got the Lumagen running on out of the box settings. Some Saturday or Sunday when I get time I plan to attempt some sort of calibration using a DVE disk (that should be fun). In fact everything gets disconnected tomorow as I am hopefully building and fitting a cabinet to house the AV equipment. So if you prefer to wait a while its no bother.

Thanks,

Tir

17. Tir

Tir
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon,

I take it you got back from your business travels? I was wondering if you get the time if you can sort me with a replacement filter.

Thanks,

Tir

18. Tir

Tir
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon would you prefer if I handled this through my dealer rather than pestering you directly?

On an unrelated matter I have also been trying to update the firmware on the unit using one of these:

http://www.newlinkproducts.co.uk/prodinfo.asp?catID=4&prodID=89

in conjuction with a male to female adapter but I have not been able to connect to the unit. Even when following the on screen advice.

I am wondering if the rs232 to usb device I am using is suitable or if there are some settings I need to adjust.

Once again any advice is greatly appreciated.

19. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    I'll have a go at another adaptor start of the week. Sorry for late reply. Your dealer will just hassle me for it....

Some folk do appear to have trouble with the USB adaptors. There is a post somewhere on the support forum with a link to a device that has been foudn to work reliably for updates.

Gordon

20. timmorris

timmorris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I had a problem running the room correction software on my Meridian using a Prolific USB to serial adapter. Meridian recommended I buy a Keyspan High speed adapter http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=121827 It works with the Meridian and with the HDP too (I've upgraded it twice).

Tim

21. Tir

Tir
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys I'll have a look into the usb to serial adapter later in the week.

Tir

22. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    Not forgotten about you......second lot of bits shoudl be here for building another filter today.....fingers crossed!

23. Tir

Tir
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gordon,

Have you had a chance to assemble the filter yet?

Tir

24. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    Wont bore you with the story but I can tell you I jut finished building it 10mins ago. It'll go in post tomorrow. Can you email me the address you'd like it sent to, [email protected]
    Thanks for the patience!

Gordon

25. Tir

Tir
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks goes to Gordon for the new filter which is working fine and to timmorris for his advice, the Keyspan High speed adapter worked a treat.

Tir