Sky+ and home cinema

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by ms2004, Aug 6, 2005.

1. ms2004

ms2004
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just installed a Denon home cinema system. Ive connected it to my DVD and my Sky+ via optical outlets. My DVD works fine with it but my AV receiver will pick up a digital inpur from the Sky+ box.

I was wondering, do sky transmit signals so you can listen through a home cinema such as box office films or do they no do this. I assumed they did otherwise why have an optical outlet. I had to change a few settings on my DVD player to get it working, but theres nothing on the Sky+ menus that suggest any settings need to be adjusted.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    you can connect your sky + to your amp via the optical cable, just select dolby digital on the on screen menu, you will get 5.1 sound with some movies on sky movies 1,2& 3, you will get dolby pro logic with every other channel

3. ms2004

ms2004
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I found another thread with that advice. The problem im having is that my amp is picking up a digital signal from the optical cable. There is a red light coming through so Im not sure what the problem is. My amp is only picking up an analog signal??

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Many amps consider a PCM signal to be "analogue", and will only show "Digital" when decoding a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal. DD is only used on Sky Movies 1 through 3 and on some material on the Disney Channel. In the sound settings, make sure the optical output setting is set to DOLBY.

5. ms2004

ms2004
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I understand that, I think Im gettng it but my sky settings are correct so should my receiver show a digital signal at all because it isnt.

I put sky movies 1 2 and 3 on and my receiver didnt show a digital signal on any of them so Im not sure whats wrong with it. All connections are OK the sky settings are OK but my receiver doesnt pick up a digital signal on any channels.

Any ideas?? Thanks.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    There might not be anything wrong with it. DD 5.1 is not on 24/7. Only selected movies and programmes are shown with DD sound, and these are signified by the letters "DD" in the search and scan banner. If you're watching a DD movie, and the Sky box is set up to output Dolby Digital, then it's most likely to be a problem with the amp setup.

7. ms2004

ms2004
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nicjk, right now on sky movies 3 theres a film with DD in the info so presumably thats a dolby digital signal that my amp should pick up, when I turn my amp on its still showing as receiving an analog signal, so it must me the settings on my amp, right?? If so, my amp has a auto decode function that is meant to pick up the signal itself? I think I need to read the 2" think instruction book!!

8. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    is there not a way to assign inputs on your amp, for instance i have my sky+ assigned to vcr2 on my amp i then tell the amp the sound associated with vcr2 is optical input 2 which is where my sky+ audio feed goes. at this menu you have to tell the amp that the sound input is either coax or optical.also if you press the input on the remote to make sure the amp is set to auto

9. ms2004

ms2004
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I think Im getting somewhere. My AV has 3 components connected. DVD, SKY, Playstation all through optical cables. The DVD and Playstation have bright red lights shining down the end of the cables and when plugged into my AV work fine. My sky cable doesnt have a bright red light. Ive changed cables and they are all OK, Ive plugged each component into different inputs and they all work except the sky.

Just phoned sky and they told me it wont work unless you plug in the phono jacks as well, this is rubbish right?

As there is no light coming down my sky cable, its either the optical output on the sky or its the AV nor receiving it, but my AV receive's everything else. I dont get it. Surely, if my sky box was sending a signal down the cable Id get a red light? Its not doing this so presumably theres no signal for my AV to decode??

Help!!

10. Dave Dodson

Dave Dodson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, just bought a sony sky box yesterday cause its got an optical out and plugged it in to my denon amp. red light was pressent but dim!

i went into the amp settings and assigned the optical input to tv and it works. i was surprised to be honest.

there are not many settings on the sky box but i would advise switching to rgb output for improved picture.

no idea why i've done all this and i cant really tell the difference and as i dont have sky + i'm not getting dolby dig any way.

my guess is a prob with the box and proff is that there is no red light.
    good luck.

11. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    You need to set the Sky+ box to output 'Dolby D' on the digital output through the sound options menu. This means that it will pass through DD 5.1 when available on the broadcast.

Default is 'Normal' which seems to mean Stereo PCM at all times (ie. Downmixed 5.1->Stereo sound if the movie has DD).

Gav

12. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    They are talking out of their rear end. You only need optical.

Sounds like a box problem. One thing you could try is a box firmware upgrade - I seem to recall someone having the same problem, and fixing it this way. Power down the box by removing the 13A plug from the wall. Hold down the "backup" button on the front of the box, and keep it held down whilst you re-apply power to the box. When you see the on-screen message, take your finger off the button. The update will take about 10 minutes. If this doesn't work, get Sky to replace the box (assuming it's under warranty).

13. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    My Sky+ is ONLY connected via optical digital so, as usual, the No-help desk don't know what they are talking about

Did you turn off the box, unplug it from the wall for two minutes and then re-connect...... :rotfl: