SKY+ and HDTV - Basic question I'm afraid

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by bluezorro, Jul 1, 2005.

1. bluezorro

bluezorro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

When Sky+ start to broadcast in HD, how will that signal be transferred into my TV? I have just got a Sky+ box from eBay and installed it all myself (piece of pi*s!), but there isnt a HDMI output on the back. Will it be able to transfer the HD signal through a normal scart?

2. pingu

pingu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Nope, 'fraid not. There will be a new SkyHD box that you'll need.

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    as Pingu says - they will release new HD boxes - HD from them will be able to go via HDMI or component - according to recent press releases

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Don't worry about it - the switch over to HD won't be instant. It will be years before there is much worth watching. All the channels will continue to be available on SD for a long time to come.

5. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll need a new screen aswell. Unless your screen supports HDMI or DVI, and it also needs HDCP copy protection. I wouldn't buy any kit now that only has HD component connections, whilst the first generation of sky boxes may now support component subsequent generations are unlikely to.

6. bluezorro

bluezorro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers fellas. This leads me to another problem. I am going to get a new LCD TV (Philips 32PF9986) which is "HD ready". It has the required HDMI port on the back, but I want to connect my Denon 2910 to the TV via this port. Does this mean that when ever I want to switch between HD Sky+ and my DVD I have to keep swapping the cables around?

Sorry if this is a dumb ass question, still pretty new to all of this.

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You have just discovered the reason why it is advisable to wait for second generation HD sets to come out. The first generation of any new product often lacks the features that later models have (like multiple inputs). If you are desperate to have a new TV now, buy a cheap one now, and worry about HDTV in another 5 years, when it should have taken off. There won't be much HDTV in the initial offering.

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The 32PF9986 is not a "HD Ready" display and won't carry the logo unlike more recent panels you can buy.
    It does not have a HDMI input only a DVI (with HDCP) which also doubles up as a component input with a suitable connector.
    For such an expensive panel is lacks connectivity which should be addressed by the new range from Philips due soon as well as other HD Ready panels you can buy right now.