1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky and HD question

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by hixon, Jul 18, 2004.

1. hixon

hixon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When hd launches ,will it mean having a new equipment(i.e. set top box ,cables or even a dish)?

Cheers

2. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You'll need a new set top box becuase the current digiboxes don't support HD. It depends what you mean by new cables. You'll definitely need either a component, DVI or HDMI cable to connect the HD digibox to your display (depending on what options Sky go for), and an audio cable to go to your amp (since i'm assuming that this service will have 5.1 sound wherever the programming source has it).

As for new minidish, I wouldn't have thought so unless Sky are going to be broadcasting the HD service from a different satelite, but someone else might be better qualified to comment on that.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I would expect SKY's HD service to be from Astra2, they would not want people to cancel existing subscriptions and take a lower priced package on another satellite and SKY could not afford to simulcast two full services.

4. hixon

hixon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cerebros ,by cables i meant the one from the dish to the set top box.
    Reason i ask, is that i am having an extension and will be burying the sky + cables in the wall.Is there any point if in a couple of years time hdtv is available!
    Thanks for your input.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I would lay four cables to future proof yourself, after all it is quite possible that SKY will combine HD and hard drive recording in a single STB and therfore require at least two connections. There is also the very definite possiblilty that the SKY HD service will not anywhere near as extensive and most people will still want access to the standard service. It may be that the SKY HD box can handle both SD and HD services but then again it may not.

So if you can lay 4 cables even if you will only be using 2 for now I see that as a good option. Perhaps creating a conduit for satellite cables within the extension might also be an option to allow new/replacement cables to be installed with the minimum of fuss.