Sky+ and FTA "mirror"

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by StooMonster, Apr 20, 2003.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I currently have Sky digital on the everything except movies and sport package. But I want to upgrade to Sky+ and use my old digibox as a FTA one in a different room.

Does anyone know anything about this? If I get £199 hardware + £10pm subscription + £50 installation will they move the old digibox to another room? If not, does Sky+ come with a new LNB that has multiple outputs, so I could connect it myself? How does this work?

StooMonster

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Sky+ comes with a Quad out LNB on install the "engineer" might move it for you! depends how many biccy's you serve with his tea!!! I think officially they charge for moving the box, whether part of an install or not though. You only need to run some cable off the LNB and B&Q sell the cable!

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Excellent, quad LNB that's what I really wanted to know; will supply plenty of tea (PG-tips, milky, two sugars; no doubt) and ask installer.

My biggest problem is going to be installing a phone line for digibox. When SkyDigital was installed, they left a long phone extension cable across the middle of my living room and across the hall, to the nearest phone socket, and they said I should sort out some proper phone-wiring myself at a later date.

I unplugged this phone-wire about two seconds after they left; I have a DECT phone network with different base stations rather than wired in phone sockets around my old house.

Interestingly I only once received a phone call from Sky asking why my digibox was unplugged from phone line; I told them that it shared line with fax machine, but it caused problems so I unplugged it. They never called me again, or charged me any additional money to have the digibox unplugged. :) And never had any problems with service, software updates, etc. :)

However, I think it will be a different story with Sky+; do you really have to have Sky+ plugged in phone-line or will my fax story get me another pass?

If I have to plug it in, I’ve either got to get DECT wireless sockets (for modems, digiboxes, etc) but they are £120+ each, or run a phone extension through walls and under floors (which is no fun in an old house, and therefore a lot of effort).

I'm guessing that a FTA digibox doesn't need to be plugged into a phone line?

StooMonster

4. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, according to the contract you should but in reality you don't have to. Sky+ is no different to a standard digibox in this respect - just unplug it from the phoneline when the installer leaves! My parents Sky+ has been unplugged for months and Sky have never phoned up about it. You don't need to worry about the FTA box either if it is out of contract.

5. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +416
    I've had a couple of letters through from sky querying why my sky+ isn't connected to the phone ... seems they send out a signal once a month via sat asking the box to dial in ... three no rings and they start asking what's up !!

Jon

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    If the SKY+ is installed by SKY then it does require a phone connection (They retain the right to collect viewing data) according to the T&C's which I assume is the reason for the requirment unlike the standard digibox where the phone connection is used to cover the "free" hardware.
    Jont's post is the first time I've heard that SKY query a single SKY+ phone connection.