sky and french tv on one dish.

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by malcolmn, Mar 6, 2013.

1. malcolmn

malcolmn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this has been covered before but i cant find a definitive answer.

I have a dish on my french property but i dont know what it is pointing at.
    I have tried connecting a uk sky+ box to it but it isnt getting a signal.
    I also have a subscription and decoder for french tv through orange france which i get for free with my internet deal (livebox zen)

I want to setup the french decoder in one room on one tv and the skybox for free to air UK tv in another room on a seperate tv.

I would like to only use one dish for this and have seen dual LNB setups on ebay etc. So my question really is which of these to buy. they seem to be set to pick up astra and hotbird, are these the satellites i will need or will i need to setup the two lnbs myself for the correct satellites?
    House is in central france.

2. ant_thomas

ant_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    You can buy adjustable brackets that you put your own LNBs in and then adjust accordingly. You usually have the dish with one LNB in the centre and the dish focused on the weakest satellite, which in your case is most likely to be 28.2E for the FTA UK signals. Then you add the 2nd LNB to the bracket at an offset to pick up the 2nd satellite.

Do you know what satellite you need to receive for the Orange France box?

Are you sure the Orange France box isn't for terrestrial TV or IPTV? I ask that because I'm sure when I was at a friends in France they too had an Orange France set top box and internet connection (via livebox router) and I don't think it was a satellite STB.

3. roland seal

roland seal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    My Orange box is satellite and it's looking at 19 degrees east. I can, I think, use the same box for terrestrial reception, but the box is primarily for satellite. It allows a large number of subscription channels on that service. Locating 19 and 28 degrees on the same dish is no fun and it would be much easier to use two dishes. The main satellites of interest to french viewers are 19 and 13 degrees and it is possible to buy a double mounted lnb fixed space for simplicity but I don't think that such lnb's are available for 19 and 28 degrees. Where are you in France?

4. MartinPickering

MartinPickering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    From my personal experience, it's far easier to add a second LNB on a bracket and position it than it is to install another dish and align it. With the LNB bracket, there are no holes to drill, no dish to lift, install and align. It's also less unsightly in most cases.

5. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,768
    Mine too. 19 and 28 should be no problem.

6. malcolmn

malcolmn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the help, so if i sum it up, the satellites i need are at 19 & 28 ( do they have names?) and opinion varies as to whether to get two dishes or twin lnb which i will have to align myself.
    I would probably go the twin lnb route except the two tvs are at opposite ends of the house and separate dishes would reduce the cable runs. Im near montmorillon (86).

7. MartinPickering

MartinPickering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    The two satellite clusters are called Astra-1 and Astra-2, respectively.

8. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,768
    You'd need to check whether your setup is the same as roland seal's and uses 19 East.
    This gives you the satellites and their names, and links to lists of the channels: http://en.kingofsat.net/satellites.php
    The standard method is two single LNBs - not one twin LNB - on one dish.
    In your case a dish for each of the two separated locations would obviously be better.