1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky and Freeview, remote sensor receive on all the time. audigy 2 dd/dts

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by JonLeach, Sep 22, 2005.

1. JonLeach

JonLeach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi all.

A few questions.

1. my mate wants a mce PC after using mine, but has sky and wants to do the following. have a freeview card to record Freeview, he also has SKY and would like to record sky occasionally, can this be done or is he better off having Sky into the MCe PC. i dont have Sky so i cant comment on it.

2. My MCE remote receiver red LED is pretty much on all the time. i have checked there is no other remote accidently on, Took all the batterys out inc keyboard, mouse mce remote.
    I have recently had to put in a new wireless adsl router. now running on channel 11 "G" network. changed from the original 6"b" cant see why that would affect it.its not causing my pc any problems its just annoying that its on flashing away.

3. Creative Audigy 2 ZS DD, DTS pass thru,(M-audio Revo no problem) anyone got this to work cos i'm having major issues. have tried all the settings under the sun, works great as a downmixer, analogue souns good too. but really want DD and DTS

4. can i use a freeview usb tvcard with a PCI card for dual tuner support?

Thanks
    Jon

2. gazzer82

gazzer82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok i will do my best to answer your questions.

1 - With media center you can only have one source for the tv and they must share the same guide. So you could only use Freeview OR Sky. Even if you go down the dual-tuner road you can still only use one source. If this is a major problem your friend could check out MediaPortal, it is free, open source and supports multiple sources for TV.

2 - This happens to me sometimes, i have attributed it to sunlight, i don't believe it is really an issue although it can get a bit irritating. You could try moving the reciever to somewhere where it will not recieve so much direct sunlight. Also since i installed rollup2 this issue seems to happen a lot less, there may have been an update to the IR reciever in the update.

3 - I don't have this card so i can't really comment, other than to make sure you have selected passthrough or "Dolby Digital" and "Via SPDIF/Coax" in the MPEG2 decoder you are using (Nvidia Purevideo Deocer, WinDVD e.t.c)

4 - Short answer yes, long answer yes as long as they are suported by media center and have the appropriate BDA drivers. If in doubt check the Microsoft Media Center hardware comaptibility list.

You may also want to check out the forums at The Green Button

Loads of useful information there.

Hope that helps

Gareth

3. JonLeach

JonLeach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Cheers Gazza.

1. icheers for the info but i allready knew about been able to use only 1 source. i was hoping to use an s vid in or something. but will checkout Mediaportal.

2 re remote, my remote is not in sunlight in fact its doing it now and its pretty dark at the moment, allready have roll up 1 installed! bizarre.

3. Done all that i tyhink i'll re install the codecs again...again...again seems never ending

4. good to know will sort one out soon.
    With

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2. Re: remote receiver, probably IR from your plasma screen or another source. I agree it is far too sensitive........mine's the same.

:smoke:

5. gazzer82

gazzer82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just so you know the update i installed rollup2, not rollup1. It might be because it contains the ehome reciever update? Maybe try installing that is you haven't allready, or search on torrent for the rollup2 update. This will allow you to use freeview radio in media center. Plus you can schedule it and pause/record it just like tv.

Cheers

Gareth

6. chuckalicious

chuckalicious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    re 2. I had the same problem with mine until last night. There were 2 things causing it. The first was my laptop... I had no idea the IRda was even on, but it was, and was searching for other devices every few seconds. The second thing was a video sender I was using for another device which has an IR blaster on it, which seems to poll something every few seconds too. With both of those off, it was fine.

7. JonLeach

JonLeach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks guys.

RE IR
    Could be the Plasma its new from Monday and i havn't noticed it until then. very annoying. i'll give rollup 2 a go maybe over the weekend.

Getting peed off with the DD passthru. works great out of MCE, even mediaplayer works!

Jon

8. gazzer82

gazzer82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried changing your decoder? I believe there used to be a problem with WinDVD where it would not apply the SPDif passthrough properly in media center without a registry patch. Have you tried setting the nvidia decoder as the default and setting it to passthrough when a dvd is running, minimise media center with the dvd running, the double click the nvidia icon in the system tray, or you can go to more programs from the main menu and you will find an nvidia configuration program in there.

Other than that, sorry i have no idea.

Cheers

Gareth

9. Nathany

Nathany

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this issue with my Audigy 2 ZS. If you go to control panel there should a "Device Control" link. In there on the tab "Decoder" you can choose to use installed decoder or SPDIF pass through. My DTS is now sounding great. Hope this helps

Nathan

10. JonLeach

JonLeach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Cheers Nathy,

i have tried all that, i rebuilt the PC with nvidia codecs only. worked fine for a few days. until..............

turned on dd or normal TV sounds slow and actually makes the picture pause every second or so. going into the control panel EVERYTHING is set to SPDIF pass thru. Then changing to Nvidia output to 4 channel stereo works ok but no DD or DTS.
    the audigy card is supposed to run SPDIF ans analoge at the same time

Peed off big time.