Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

SKY and Freeview on HTPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by sholao, Jun 6, 2005.

1. sholao

sholao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of setting up a HTPC in preparation for a new LCD or Plasma screen and need it for the following.

SKY and Freeview PVR.

I don't want to get SKY + as routing the cable will cause some cosmestic damage to the house and some walls.

So what cards do I need to be able to record from SKY and Freeview.

Basically I want to able to:

1. Either record from the 2 at the same time.
    2. Record one and view the other
    3. Record one and pause live TV on the other.

My SKY box only has scart out, but I've got a scart to composite cable.

I will also be using for DVD and music playback but think I know how to get that sorted. Will probably use MCE and a front end though might consider xlobby as well. If I go for xlobby, can I still use the MCE remote with Girder for remote control?

Thanks for any suggestions

2. stuartmc

stuartmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MCE cannot use more than one delivery medium. This is a restriction of the EPG which can only be one medium ie analogue, freeview, cable, Sky but not any two or more together.

3. sholao

sholao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MCE aside, what hardware do I need, I might consider using MCE just for freeview then, or windows XP and XLobby or another front end.