Sky and Freeview connectivity Panny DMRES-20

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jimboom, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Jimboom

Jimboom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am new to the forum and this is my 1st post so apologies in advance for what may seem a stupid question.

I am seriously interested in the new Panasonic DMRES-20 DVD recorder with a Freeview tuner, I also have a Sky digibox. Is it possible to record a Sky channel and view a Freeview channel (and vice versa) at the same time with this recorder? If so are there any special cables or connections.
    Also can this Panny take the new 9.4GB DVD-RAM disc increasing the recording time available?

Thanks in advance.

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,511
    none of the DVD recorders (or even DVD HDD recorders) will let you record 2 programs at the same time as far as I know.
    You will be able to use the 9.4GB RAM DVDs but you have to turn them over half way through so whilst they do hold twice what a normal RAM disc will hold, it's not continuous.

3. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    You would probably need a separate Freeview STB to do what you ask. Also a TV with three AV inputs. One for the Sky box, one for the ES20D and one for the STB. (or use a scart switching box). That should mostly do what you require.

Similar to a setup with three scarts :

http://www.dtg.org.uk/consumer/connection_wizard.html

Tick TV 3 scarts, Satellite, (vcr/dvd recorder) and dvd standalone (this one in exchange for STB) and it should bring up the correct wiring diagram.

4. Jimboom

Jimboom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    Thanks for the replies so far, I think I need to make myself clearer. I DON'T want to record 2 programs simultaneously, but WATCH say a Sky satellite program and RECORD a freeview digital terrestial program (or vice versa). My thoughts were that the DMRES-20's digital tuner would allow me to do this and get better recording quality, but being new to this I wanted the views of some experts. From what Royold has said it maybe better to go for a separate freeview STB and possibly the Panasonic DMRES-10 DVD recorder. I welcome any thoughts on the above. Thanks again.

5. topdude

topdude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the DMRES20D and a seperate Digibox for the sole purpose of watching one digital channel while recording another digital channel.
    I have tried the DVD through the Digibox then to the TV, Digibox through DVD then to the TV, both these options were unsuitable.
    I now have DVD and Digibox connected to a Scart switch box then to the TV.
    This now gives me top quality RGB connections from either device to the TV, and i can switch to the Digibox to watch another channel when recording.

6. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    The ES20D will give you better recording quality which is why you should still go for the ES20D recorder and not the analogue only ES10. The price difference between the two is only £20-£30 now so keep the ES20D option and the STB. The latter can be purchased for around £30. This will allow you to record in top quality a freeview Chan on the ES20D whilst watching another freeview channel from the STB. I realise you could dispense with the STB and watch the freeview channel on Sky but I considered you may want to eventually dump Sky (as many people are doing these days after they have purchased a PVR). Whilst recording on the ES20D you cannot use it for anything else.

My ES20D is upstairs and I have the Topfield 5800t PVR (with 160GB HDD) connected to its AV2 input. This to transfer HDD recordings to DVD-R on the ES20D. Additionally I also have a Pace STB (omelette shaped one - never can remember the name of it) connected to the TV to watch freeview when the other two are being used for transfer. Don't have Sky so don't have their monthly bill.