1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ and editing?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by malcom, Sep 6, 2003.

1. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    With the abolition of the £10 monthly fee I am now interested in Sky plus. I don't know anything about the Sky plus hard drive and it's editing capabilities (If any).

My main interest in the unit is not the EPG capabilities but the hard drive storage option. I would want to record to Sky+ then edit if this function is available and then transfer to DVD RAM or DVD-R

I understand that Sky+ records the digital stream and as such no picture quality is lost. presumably then transfering the hard disc contents to a DVD-RAM disc at the maximum (xp) quality setting I would be getting a copy to RAM as good as if I had recorded it straight off a normal Sky reciever. Am I right with this assumption or not???? Thank's Malcom.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Sky+ has no editting facilities - and given the 'politics' of enabling their customers to edit out their sponsers - is unlikely to get any.

You can record onto your E50 just like the Sky+ box was a digibox. Only you can use the Flexible Record of your E50 to greater advantage - you record the programme on the Sky+ HDD and then copy to DVD-RAM using FR. You can then edit out the adverts, transfer more stuff to the DVD-RAM etc.

You would need a PC burner (approx. £90) or one of the 'other options', e.g. a RAM capable player to convert the RAM disk to DVD-R.

3. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thank's Rasczac. Just what I suspected. No editing ability. Transfering to DVD-R would be no problem as I already have the E20 and the E30. Having a hard drive in the chain would give me more flexibility as you know I am limited to just one hour recording in "XP" mode at the moment.

What I don't understand with Sky+ and the hard drive is if you can only select part of a Sky+ hard drive recording to copy to RAM. Suppose I recorded a two hour program but only wanted the last hour. Would I have to transfer the whole two hour in order to get that last hour or could I jump to that part of the recording and record from there??? Thank's. malcom.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    No - the easiest way to do this is just to Play the recording normally (i.e. don't use teh Copy function) and Fast Forward on the Sky+ recorded programme to the point you want then record as if it were live on the E50. Once done chop off the unwanted bits at the start/end and any adverts and dub to DVD-R.

At the risk of pointing out the obvious in your setup make sure you record on the E50 (due to RGB in) and then play on the E20 (which has RGB out) back to the E50.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    IMHO the picture quality from Sky is so low you can get away with Sp mode easily. At the very least use FR upto 90 minutes.

6. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thank's again. Just what i was hoping for. I am glad you mentioned the RGB factor as I had not given that a thought......

7. Ridcully

Ridcully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I don't yet own Sky+ but following the recent news soon will be, so the following may be incorrect.

The other advantage of recording via Sky + is it removes the red dot.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Sky+ certainly removes the red dot (and any other interactive crap). A very, very useful feature for things you want to archive. If only it could remove the darn logos!

9. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Using VirtualDub (best version modified, extra features version here ) with DeLogo filter can be very effective, depends on the DOG's opacity how effective it works.

I don't have Sky yet (waiting for a deal on Sky+ without premium channels) but have effectively removed logos from ITV2 Content on Nebula Freeview source material. It's not perfect but better for my CRT PJ than a 2 hour white logo visible.

I'm VERY new to these things so not very good on specific technical advice but I worked it out by trial & error. Both VirtualDub & the Delogo filter are free to use:). One thing I found was that you could save out as MPeg but VirtualDub can be used as a frame server for TMPGenc.

Good luck!

Mark.

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
  11. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    After the initial exitement at hearing the £10 monthly fee was to be dropped "for some" I am now having a change of mind. I think.:confused: £200 + £50 installation. I could put that towards a DVD/HD combi recorder. Then i would have three DVD recorders. Am I mad!! Am i greedy. Am I nut's. Fraid the answer is yes to all three.:D :D

The point is I would like maximum hard drive functionality. I don't need or care in the slightest for the Sky+ EPG relationship. That's why I would never pay a £10 fee.

So by not going the Sky+ route how close will the £250 saved be to purchasing a DVD/HDD/RAM machine say by Xmas or just after. Add another £150 maybe or is that too optimistic.

P.S. Financial donations are always welcome.:D :D

12. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmmmmmmm well I have Sky+ and a Philips DVDR890 recorder. They are entirely different beasts in my opinion, and just happen to work stormingly well together.

The EPG recording is so easy and natural - just scroll through the programme listings and press the R button on what you have highlighted to record it. In terms of user-friendliness in setting up stuff to record, it is light years ahead of any current DVD recorder. And you would be frankly astounded at how often you do end up watching something live while recording something else, or watching a recorded programme while recording another.

In short, Sky+ frees up your viewing time, and really does help you get more VFM out of your subscription - it's so easy to record that you build up a host of programs sitting on the HD waiting for you to watch them. You start to record things that only vaguely interest you - one button press. You wouldn't do that when you have to go through the hassle of setting up a recording on the DVD recorder. I've actually found a lot of gems by doing this, particularly late night stuff on BBC1 and BBC2.

I use my DVD Recorder for archiving Sky+ recordings - HQ and SP modes work exceptionally well. It's also good to use as a surrogate dual record until the software upgrade kicks in (if it ever does). The Sky+ records one channel, the DVD recorder records the live feed.

I'd say that all these plus points really does make up for the limited editing facilities. When I archive off my programmes, I tend to make use of my DVD Recorder's pause button, then FF through the adverts and unpause at the critical moment. Unsophisticated? Yes. But I can live with it.

13. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I already have the pleasure of recording something else while watching with my Panny DVD recorders. I agree it's great to be able to do that.

I take your point about the EPG settings and so on and am sure you are right but I simply don't care enough about that to make that my deciding influence. My main concern is HD functionality and the Sky+ drive does not have any editing or high speed dubbing ability. If my normal digi box breaks down!!! well then I suppose i would logically replace it with a Sky+ unit. But until then I think i will wait. I am a bit of a mind changer though..:D :D

14. BigCol

BigCol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dare say it is naive question but what the heck... :rolleyes:
    When archiving your Sky+ film recording to a DVD recorder, is the Dolby 5.1 info retained too?

15. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    No. But I rarely archive films. They are not my prime pupose for DVD recording.