Sky+ and dvd recorder

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by ruthiebabie, Jan 3, 2005.

1. ruthiebabie

ruthiebabie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Please bear with me as I am new to the forum.

I have had Sky+ for about 6 months and all working fine alongside my video recorder. However decided to upgrade to a DVD recorder and home cinema system (its a Goodmans gdvd300r).

Anyway having connected it all I have found that when I press the Copy option on Sky+ box - the message appears as before to set your "video" recording (at which point I press record on the new dvd recorder) however this message then disappears and the Sky+ box doesn't start playback - just goes back and shows the programme marked as Copy.

I've rung Sky up who advised to reconnect the dvd recorder in a different way but all that happened there is that I lost the sound! The only way I can record programmes from the Sky+ box is to start a manual play back and then press record. Therefore I cannot set more than one programme to copy. Someone said not all DVD recorders are compatible with Sky - is this a rumour or true?

Any ideas how I might get it working as it did with a video recorder?

2nd question - the Sky+ reception through the DVD player isn't as sharp as if you are using Sky on its own. The dvd automatically tunes itself and I haven't found anyway of overriding this. Would using a better quality scart lead help?

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    Are you pressing the select button again at that stage ? You do need to press it twice if i remember correctly.

3. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Make sure you're gentle with the select button, it has a habit of firing twice.

On the subject of the PQ, does this degredation occur when the DVDR is in standby as well as switched on? What DVDR do you have?

4. ruthiebabie

ruthiebabie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    In reply to the are you pressing the Select button - yes - and it registers briefly as though its going to start but then just goes back to the main programmes recorded screen showing a red copy indicator by the programme.

In response to the picture quality it degrades when the dvd is on. Therefore Sky+ programmes recorded to DVD are OK, BUT if you want to use the surround sound function of the DVD whilst watching a Sky channel (e.g when watching sky movies) thats when the picture quality dips.

Thanks for any further advice you may be able to give

5. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yes but what DVDR do you have?

6. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :oops:

I think if you read the first post it does state that ruthiebabie does infact have a Goodmans gdvd300r!